One of the drivers, Identified as Arturo Munoz, was found to be driving under the influence; Authorities say Munoz has had three prior DUI convictions in the last six years.
Bakersfield, Calif. – Two women who died after a driver with three prior DUI convictions crashed into their car on Planz Road in Bakersfield Friday night have been identified.
According to GoFundMe pages created by the victims’ families, Hortencia Garcia de Haro and Vanessa Lasarit were killed in a crash that occurred around 11:08 p.m. Friday, February 9 in the 1900 block of Planz Road.
Hortencia Garcia died at the scene. Lasarit was declared brain-dead on Saturday night.
According to a police report, officers were following a few vehicles after a car meet in a parking lot on Hughes and White Lanes, when they came upon the traffic collision in the 1900 block of Planz Road involving a Chevrolet Tahoe, that had been seen at the meet, and a white sedan.
Three women who were in the sedan were seriously injured with the driver (Hortencia Garcia ) dying at the scene. The other two women were rushed to the hospital, one (Lasarit) in critical condition.
The driver of the Tahoe, identified as Arturo Munoz, 25, of Bakersfield, was found to have been driving under the influence. Authorities say Munoz has had three prior DUI convictions in the last six years.
The suspect was booked into the Kern County Jail for DUI with three prior convictions, homicide, and DUI causing great bodily injury.
Bakersfield, Calif. – One person was killed in a car crash that left two others injured on Friday night in south Bakersfield.
The accident happened around 11:08 p.m. in the area of White Lane and Hughes Lane, according to the Bakersfield Police Department.
The officers were patrolling the area when they came upon the scene of a crash involving an SUV and a white sedan. The SUV had been seen at a car meet in a nearby parking lot.
The sedan driver was pronounced dead at the accident scene.
All three adult female passengers of the sedan were hospitalized with serious injuries.
More details about the accident were not released.
An investigation into the accident is ongoing.
Have You Lost a Loved One in a Car Accident?
A fatal collision is a devastating and life-altering experience that robs families of their loved ones and productive members. These collisions are often caused by a variety of factors including reckless driving, distracted driving, driver error, vehicle malfunctions, road conditions, weather, or other external factors. If you have lost a loved one in a fatal car accident, talk to an experienced wrongful death lawyer at Pacific Attorney Group to help you understand your legal options and protect your rights. Click to call : 866-803-6502.
What To Do Immediately After A Car Accident
The aftermath of a car accident can be a traumatizing and disorienting experience. It is therefore important to stay calm and prioritize your safety and that of those involved in the crash. Below is a step-by-step guide on what to do to navigate the aftermath of a crash and protect your interests.
- Stay calm and check on injuries. – Calmly assess yourself for injuries before making sure everyone else is okay.
- Prioritize safety – Move your vehicle to a safe location and activate the hazard lights to alert other drivers. Exit the vehicle to avoid the risk of secondary collisions.
- Contact the police and emergency services – Call the police as soon as possible and ask for an ambulance if anyone has been injured. The police will document the incident and prepare a report of the incident.
- Exchange information – Exchange contact and insurance information with all the involved parties. If there are witnesses, try to get their contact information as well.
- Document the accident- Take photos of the accident scene, including the damage to vehicles, license plates, and the surrounding area. Keep copies of the police report, medical bills, injury treatment plans, and any other documents related to the accident.
- Do not admit fault – Provide accurate information to the police and don’t talk with the other parties’ insurance companies before speaking to your attorney. Also, avoid signing any documents without a clear understanding of their implications.
- Contact your insurance company – Notify your insurance company as soon as possible and provide them with accurate information about the accident.
- Seek medical treatment – It is advisable to seek medical attention regardless of the severity of your injuries since some injuries may not be immediately apparent.
- Call a car accident lawyer – A personal injury attorney will help you understand your legal options and assist you in filing a personal injury claim if necessary.