Our Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Los Angeles is filled with many types of people. Some do not mind being stuck in traffic on the 5 freeway, while others use another mode of transportation; that is the essence of freedom. A motorcycle is the epiphany of freedom that lets you get where you are going without dealing with what most Angelinos deal with. Still, the perks of a motorcycle come with a new set of issues. For one, a motorcyclist is particularly vulnerable to other cars while riding, making a Pacific Attorney Group’s Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer crucial.
Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
What Should I do After a Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident?
A Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to help you if you were recently involved in a motorcycle accident. It is imperative to figure out who caused the accident. The party at fault will be held financially liable for the incident. Your attorney will work to gather the information that benefits your case. Your motorcycle accident attorney will:
- Retrieve information from all parties involved relevant to the accident
- Handle all communication with insurance companies
- Obtain a copy of reports from authorities
- Refer you to the best medical doctors who can review your condition and treat your injuries.
- Work on your case to compensate you for injuries and damages
A Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer will gather all your information and ask questions about your motor-cycling history. If you practiced safe motorcycling by wearing a helmet, wearing reflectors, and illuminating your motorcycle you will have a reduced risk of being considered negligent.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents in Los Angeles
From speeding to drunk driving to a large pothole in a road, there are many different potential causes of motorcycle accidents. Identifying the cause of your collision is crucial if you are to seek and recover maximum compensation for your injuries, and that is where our attorneys can make all the difference.
Most often, drivers practice unsafe driving by texting or talking on the phone. Many drivers become distracted with technology or fail to focus on the road due to exhaustion and fatigue. In addition, a driver can be under the influence of alcohol or drugs and accidentally hit you. Our motorcycle accident attorneys will help to determine what caused the accident and who is at fault.
The injuries that a victim may sustain in a motorcycle accident are serious, potentially leading to permanent disability, disfigurement, or even death. Motorcycle accident injuries are often serious or life-threatening due to the imbalance in size and weight of a motorcycle versus a typical car, SUV or large truck. The smaller vehicle, the motorcycle, will typically sustain the greater part of damage, and because the rider is virtually unprotected in the event of a collision, this may result in any of a number of catastrophic injuries. Even with a safety helmet and protective gear (gloves, jacket, shoes, and pants) a motorcycle rider may be seriously injured.
What are the Most Common Types of Motorcycle Accidents in California?
Motorcycle DUI Accidents
If you were involved in an accident with a drunk driver, no matter whether they were driving a car or a motorcycle, you deserve to have your rights protected. A motorcycle accident attorney at our firm will fight tirelessly to ensure that you receive the legal counsel that you need.
Cruiser Bike Accidents
Designed for comfort, cruiser bikes are commonly used for long-distance road trips. While safer than smaller motorcycles, these are not impervious to accidents and can leave the motorcyclist open to serious injury if another driver acts negligently.
Sport Bike Accidents
Small, easy to maneuver and fast, sport bikes are popular among motorcycle enthusiasts throughout the nation. Unfortunately, they can also be the cause of severe accidents if they are not built correctly, if the rider is not properly trained or if another driver on the road does not drive correctly.
Types of Serious Motorcycle Injuries
When a motorcycle is impacted by another vehicle, the rider may be crushed against another vehicle or a fixed object or may be thrown from the bike and hit by another vehicle or his or her own bike. A motorcyclist may be dragged on the pavement or may suffer significant direct impact to a limb, head, or entire body. Some of the serious injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
- Lacerations and road rash from dragging along the asphalt
- Crush injuries
- Damage to internal organs: bruising and internal bleeding
- Head trauma and brain injuries
- Spinal cord injury
How a Motorcycle Accident May Cause a Spinal Cord Injury?
The spinal cord may become injured in a motorcycle accident if the rider sustains direct trauma to the back or spine, resulting in cracked or broken vertebrae and therefore damage to the spinal cord that the vertebrae normally protects. Spinal cord injury may also result from a twisting or wrenching motion of the spine. Regardless of the type of injury, the victim may be at risk of suffering permanent consequences.
Dangerous Consequences of Spine Injury
Were you injured in a motorcycle accident? If you sustained spine injuries in this incident, you may be at risk of facing extensive medical bills, rehabilitation and continued therapy. You may wish to consider your options in filing a claim or lawsuit against the individual or entity responsible or causing the accident and therefore your injuries.
Motorcycle accidents are often very serious. The rider of the motorcycle or the driver or passenger of a car or any other vehicle may be at risk of suffering spinal cord injury. The motorcyclist in particular will be more likely to suffer from this type of injury, however. Because the motorcycle rider does not have the benefit of being surrounded by an entire vehicle made of steel and containing airbags to offer further protection, he or she may sustain a severe physical injury even in a low-speed collision.
Paralysis, paraplegia, quadriplegia and spinal fracture are all potential consequences of a motorcycle accident. The motorcyclist may be thrown from his or her bike or may suffer crush injury due to impact with the other motor vehicle or if the motorcycle lands upon him or her.
Our Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Explain You Laws of California
California motorcycle laws must be followed for anyone who is interested in sharing the road with cars, trucks, and pedestrians. These motorcycle laws may be reviewed at the California Department of Motor Vehicles website but there are some important LA motorcycle laws that everyone should be aware of before they take to the roads.
1. California Motorcycle Helmet Laws
One of the most important LA motorcycle laws includes a helmet law. In California, it is illegal to ride a motorcycle without an approved helmet. This means that motorcycle operators must not wear “novelty” helmets. Helmets must contain straps that keep them attached to the head of the rider and must also fit properly.
2. California Motorcycle Lane Splitting Rules
There are no regulations in California regarding lane splitting for motorcycle riders. Lane splitting may be dangerous, but it is not illegal. California motorcycle enthusiasts who are involved in an accident may automatically be considered at fault. If this occurs, contact a motorcycle accident attorney right away. They can help you protect your rights.
3. California Motorcycle Licensing Requirements
There are two classes of motorcycle licenses in California known as M1 and M2. M2 licensing allows riders to operate bicycles, mopeds, and motorized scooters. M1 licensing allows the operator to drive a motorcycle, as well as other motorized vehicles covered under the M2 license. Holders of either license who are involved in any kind of accident on a California roadway should consider contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer to help protect their license (if they are found at fault) or to seek help if they are a victim.
Knowing when to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer is important if you are going to be driving the streets of California. A motorcycle accident attorney can help you make sure that you do not lose your operator’s license and can help protect you in the event that you were the victim of an accident involving any motor vehicle or a pedestrian.
Our Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You Understand Motorcycle Negligence Law
An attorney should know the negligence laws of the state in which he or she practices. It is important for a Los Angeles motorcycle lawyer to understand the negligence laws of California.
1. Motorcycle Negligence
The law of negligence is interesting in many ways and it is one area that is actively litigated in courts. Whether talking about a car accident, a motorcycle accident, or some other kind of accident, negligence is likely to be the question when the case is sorted out in front of a jury. In order to understand these lawsuits, one must first understand negligence. People are required to act in a reasonable way so as to avoid causing harm to others. When a person acts unreasonably and his actions cause an injury to another person, there could be an action for negligence.
2. Proving causation and injury
Let’s imagine for a moment that you are involved in a motorcycle accident. If that were the case, the goal of the attorney would be to prove that you suffered an actual injury and to prove that the other person’s actions were the proximate cause of that injury. This is where a good Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney would come into play. That professional would assess what you have suffered through and the Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney would come up with a proper case for you. A Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer is not the only kind of negligence lawyer. No matter what kind of accident you are involved in, a Los Angeles negligence law attorney can help.
3. Understanding how cases play out
Not every negligence case makes it to a jury. A Los Angeles negligence law lawyer will explain to you that settlement is often the best option. Any good Los Angeles negligence law lawyer will be able to look at your case and determine the best course of action. In the motorcycle example above, a Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer might advise you that a settlement would save you money and save you time. It is smart to contact a Los Angeles negligence law attorney if you have been involved in an accident.
What is the Value of My Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Claim?
A motorcycle accident can quickly wreck your dreams and add up big expenses in medical bills, bike repair costs and lost wages. Motorcycle accidents are considered to be the worst amongst other vehicle crashes, as they result in serious injuries or sometimes even loss of life. Los Angeles reports one of the leading rates of motorcycle accident injuries and fatalities. Thus, the law of negligence is introduced for recovering the compensation for injuries sustained in the accident. In this, you are required to prove that the crash was the result of fault of another entity or driver.
Pacific Attorney Group is staffed with lawyers having experience in handling motorcycle accident cases, as well as expertise in handling injury claims that arise from the accident. The well financed and reputed law firm in Los Angeles will properly handle the case from the beginning and help its clients in getting the highest accident recovery possible.
Our lawyers conduct a thorough investigation of the motorcycle accident for establishing the fault of another party or for finding out another alternative to the motorcycle crash like a vehicle defect or dangerous road. While tracking down the person responsible for the wreck, the attorney will also ensure that no blame comes on the motorcyclist also. It is often seen that the opposite party blames fast driving or out-of-lane driving as the cause of motorcycle accidents. A vigilant Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer will protect the client’s interest by negating any negligence argument.
What You Can Expect From Pacific Attorney Group
You do not want to deal with a motorcycle crash without proper representation or with at least some knowledge of what you need to do should you be involved in one. Clearly, getting medical attention for you and anyone involved is of the utmost importance. Dealing with injured parties is just one thing that needs to be considered. A motorcyclist must conserve evidence, just in case one of our attorneys needs this.
Consider the following:
- Photographs of the accident
- Witness information
- Information from those involved
- Details about weather and road conditions
- Important reports, like the hospital and the police reports
Our lawyers will ensure that you understand everything that you need, including what was just mentioned.
Our Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help with Quick Claim Settlements
If you or someone you know was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident in the Los Angeles area, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim or lawsuit against the other driver or whatever party was responsible for causing the accident. This may be your opportunity to recover financial damages that will pay medical costs, living expenses while you’re unable to work, and more.
We want to make sure that you are taken care of because a motorcycle injury can be quite expensive depending on your particular injury. You can expect us to help with some of the following:
- Quick Filing: Our experts are knowledgeable and understand the law; this means there will be no delay. Your case will be filed soon, meaning that our team starts working on your case quickly.
- Resolutions: Expect that our team will try to get you the largest possible settlement as quickly as possible. Evidence collected is put to good use because we know that you want to get back to your life as soon as you can. We do our best to reach a solution through a settlement rather than a lengthy trial that might take a long time and cost more money.
- Free Consultation with an Attorney: An attorney will receive all your information about the accident and discuss possible options with you. If we take your case and decide to represent you, we only receive a payment if you win your case. Therefore, there are no upfront costs or fees and we will advance any filing or court costs. We will only charge you if we can win your case. Our Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer is extremely knowledgeable and experienced and will work to help get compensation for your suffering.
Why Seek Legal Representation from a Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Lawyer?
An experienced Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer can work wonders for your products liability case. Motorcycle accidents can occur for a variety of reasons, but one of the top causes of motorcycle accidents is a design defect. Design defects can cause a driver to lose complete control of a motorcycle. In other cases, a motorcycle accident attorney Los Angeles may have to deal with the lawyers from insurance companies.
When you deal with insurance companies, you should be sure to hire a Los Angeles motorcycle accident attorney with experience in handling motorcycle accident claims. The lawyers who work for insurance companies are trained to be as difficult as possible in lawsuits regarding motorcycle accident claims. As a result, you will need to hire your own lawyer who can zealously advocate for your interests in a courtroom.
A Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyer will work his or her hardest to get the compensation you deserve in a motorcycle accident case. A motorcycle accident attorney Los Angeles may be able to recover lost wages for your case. Or, a motorcycle accident lawyer may be able to recover funds for the injuries that one has sustained in a motorcycle accident. Other times, a motor accident lawyer may be able to recover funds for all of the medical expenses one has incurred due to surgery as a result of the accident.
A lawyer should also know who to contact regarding the construction of highways. If a motorcycle accident was caused due to the poor quality of a road system, then a government agency may be held liable for the damages in such a case.
Los Angeles Motorcycle Accident Statistics
In 2010, there were 530 fatal traffic accidents and 50,153 injury accidents in Los Angeles County, California, according to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). Motorcycles were involved in 74 fatal collisions and 2,637 injury collisions. Also according to CHP statistics:
- 71 motorcyclists were killed in traffic accidents in Los Angeles County in 2010. 2,657 motorcyclists were injured in traffic accidents.
- Though motorcyclists accounted for only 3.7% of traffic accident injuries in 2010, they accounted for 12.5% of all traffic fatalities. These percentages are reversed for other categories of injured parties, with higher percentages of injuries than deaths for drivers and passengers.
- There were 146,703 motorcycles registered in Los Angeles County and 808,913 registered in California in 2010.
- Of the 71 motorcyclists who died in traffic accidents in Los Angeles County in 2010, 65 were wearing helmets. 6 riders were not using safety equipment.
- 2,261 of the 2,657 motorcyclists injured in accidents in Los Angeles County in 2010 were wearing helmets; 396 were not using proper safety equipment.
Motorcycle Accident Data From NHTSA
Nationwide motorcycle accident statistics can also help us get a better idea of how often motorcycle accidents occur and who is most likely to be injured. According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,612 motorcyclists lost their lives in traffic accidents across the U.S. in 2011. This was an increase of nearly 100 fatalities from the previous year.
- 81,000 motorcyclists were injured, a decrease of 1,000 from 2010.
- The fatality rate for motorcyclists is considerably higher than for drivers of passenger cars and light trucks. According to statistics from 2011, motorcycles had a fatality rate of 24.93 per 100 million vehicle miles traveled. Passenger cars and light trucks had fatality rates of .8 and .81, respectively.
- Motorcycles accounted for 3% of registered vehicles and .6% of vehicle miles traveled in the U.S., but motorcyclists accounted for 14% of traffic fatalities.
- According to nationwide motorcycle accident statistics from 2010, motorcycle riders were more than 30 times more likely to die in traffic accidents than occupants of passenger cars.
- 49% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved collisions with other motor vehicles, and 75% of these involved motorcycles that collided with vehicles in front.
- 23% of fatal motorcycle accidents involved collisions with fixed objects.
- Of all fatal two-vehicle motorcycle accidents in 2011, 38% involved the other vehicle turning left and the motorcycle traveling straight.
- It is estimated that 1,617 motorcyclists’ lives were saved by helmet use in 2011. Helmets are estimated to be about 37% effective in preventing fatal injuries.
- In states without helmet laws, 65% of motorcyclists killed in traffic accidents were not wearing helmets. In states with helmet laws, 9% of motorcyclists killed in traffic accidents were not wearing helmets.
Get the Right Legal Support You Need After a Motorcycle Accident in Los Angeles
Many people do not realize the amount of work that is involved in settling a motorcycle accident claim or lawsuit. The amount of paperwork can be overwhelming for the average person. There may be a deposition with the insurance company lawyers regardless of whether you go to court or not. We have the legal expertise to investigate the situation, assess your injuries and financial losses, and judge how we can best get you the settlement you deserve. Our firm Pacific Attorney Group will evaluate your situation and charge you nothing unless we take on your case. There is no risk in talking to us about your accident and finding out what needs to happen next.
If you are interested in finding out more about motorcycle accidents and your right as a motorcyclist or other victim of such a collision, call us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our Los Angeles motorcycle accident lawyers. By contacting our firm, you can find out what options you have and how to proceed in seeking fair compensation for your insurance claim or lawsuit. We are here to offer insight and representation to motorcycle accident victims across Los Angeles and throughout Southern California. Contact our firm today!