Los Angeles Construction Accident Lawyer At Your Service
Construction workers face some of the most dangerous working conditions of any occupation. Their work is physical and is often in proximity to heavy machinery, power tools, electric wiring, and gas lines. Taking those issues into account, it comes as no surprise that construction workers account for about one in five occupational fatalities in the U.S. each year. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) statistics from 2012, nearly 20% of the 3,945 occupational fatalities occurred in the construction industry. It’s important to consult with an experienced Los Angeles construction accident lawyer who specializes in construction accidents to understand how these laws apply to your specific situation. They can provide guidance on navigating the legal process, filing claims, and protecting your rights under California labor laws.
Construction Accident-Related Laws of Los Angeles, California
California labor laws provide important protections for workers involved in construction accidents in Los Angeles, CA.
- Construction Safety Orders: California has specific construction safety regulations known as Construction Safety Orders (CSOs). These regulations cover various aspects of construction safety, such as equipment operation, hazard identification, fall protection, personal protective equipment (PPE), and safe work practices. Compliance with these regulations is essential for maintaining a safe construction site.
- Independent Contractors vs. Employees: Misclassification of workers as independent contractors rather than employees is a common issue in the construction industry. California has strict guidelines for determining whether a worker should be classified as an employee or an independent contractor. Proper classification is important as it affects workers’ rights, including eligibility for workers’ compensation benefits and other labor law protections.
Talk to a Los Angeles construction accident attorney and get proper guidance for your work injury-related claim.
Understanding Construction Site Accidents and Injuries
There are many different types of construction accidents, and their causes may vary from worker inexperience to equipment malfunction to sheer carelessness. Understanding these accidents and their causes can give one a better idea of why construction accidents occur and what can be done to prevent them. Our Los Angeles construction accident lawyer can also offer insight regarding a worker’s legal options and right to compensation if injured on the job.
- Ladder Accidents: Ladder accidents are one of the leading causes of construction worker injuries. Improper ladder set-up, inspection, and use may cause these largely preventable accidents, and injured workers may be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits for medical care and lost earnings. Our team can help – call today to learn more.
- Forklift Accident: A common presence at construction sites, forklifts can be used in a manner of ways to get the job done. If used improperly or poorly maintained, however, workers may be at risk of suffering serious injuries. Our firm can handle cases involving third-party liability or workers’ compensation for such accidents.
- Scaffolding Accidents: Falls from scaffolding are one of the most common types of construction accidents. Falls, including those from scaffolding or other raised working surfaces, account for about one-third of all construction worker fatalities each year. It is important to follow scaffolding safety regulations and to take immediate action if a worker is injured.
- Falling Objects: Falling objects present a real hazard for construction workers and workers in other industries. If a worker on scaffolding drops a tool, for example, it could strike a worker below and cause catastrophic injuries. If you were injured by a falling object, now is the time to obtain legal counsel as you seek workers’ comp benefits or other compensation. Call a Los Angeles construction accident attorney today.
- Slips and Falls: Falls from heights, such as scaffolding, ladders, or roofs, are one of the leading causes of construction site accidents. These accidents can result in fractures, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), and even fatalities. These accidents happen when a worker is hit by a falling object, moving equipment, or vehicles at the construction site. Struck-by accidents can cause broken bones, head injuries, internal injuries, and lacerations.
- Electrocution: There are many scenarios where construction workers must perform their job duties around or directly dealing with electric wiring and systems. An experienced Los Angeles construction accident lawyer at our firm will can handle any construction accident claim stemming from electrocution and electrical injuries of all kinds. Construction sites involve electrical systems and equipment, which can lead to electrical shocks, burns, and electrocutions. Electrical accidents can cause serious injuries, including burns, cardiac arrest, and neurological damage.
- Caught-in or Between Accidents: Workers can get caught or crushed between heavy machinery, equipment, or collapsing structures. These accidents often result in severe injuries, including crushed limbs, amputations, and internal injuries.
- Machinery Accidents: Workers operate a variety of heavy machinery, such as cranes, bulldozers, excavators, and power tools. Accidents involving machinery can cause crush injuries, amputations, fractures, and severe lacerations.
- Chemical and Toxic Substance Exposure: Construction sites may involve exposure to hazardous chemicals, gases, and toxins, such as asbestos, lead, silica, and solvents. Prolonged exposure or inadequate protection can lead to respiratory problems, skin conditions, organ damage, and long-term health issues.
- Musculoskeletal Injuries: Construction work often involves repetitive motions, heavy lifting, and strenuous physical activities, leading to musculoskeletal injuries. These injuries can include strains, sprains, herniated discs, and joint injuries.
Construction site accidents and injuries are unfortunately common occurrences in the construction industry. Due to the nature of construction work, which involves heavy machinery, hazardous materials, and various physical tasks, the risk of accidents and injuries is heightened. By prioritizing safety and implementing preventive measures, construction site accidents and injuries can be minimized, creating a safer working environment for construction workers.
Los Angeles construction accident lawyer
Safety Measures to Prevent Construction Site Accidents in Los Angeles, CA
Preventing construction site accidents and injuries is crucial. Some preventive measures include:
- Providing comprehensive safety training to all workers.
- Implementing and enforcing strict safety protocols and regulations.
- Conducting regular inspections to identify and address potential hazards.
- Providing and maintaining proper personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Ensuring proper scaffolding, fall protection systems, and guardrails are in place.
- Promoting open communication and reporting of safety concerns.
By adhering to these safety measures, construction site accidents in Los Angeles, CA can be significantly reduced, creating a safer working environment for construction workers and the surrounding community.
Steps to Take Following a Construction Site Accident in Los Angeles, CA
In the event of a construction site accident, immediate steps should be taken:
- Seek medical attention for injured individuals.
- Report the accident to the appropriate authorities and supervisors.
- Document the incident, including photographs, witness statements, and any relevant details.
- Cooperate with investigations and follow any legal or company-specific procedures.
- Consult with a Los Angeles construction accident lawyer to understand your rights and explore potential compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Construction companies must prioritize worker safety through ongoing training, hazard identification, risk mitigation, and the implementation of robust safety policies and procedures.
Injured in a Construction Accident? Talk to our Los Angeles Construction Accident Lawyer Now!
If you are looking to learn more about construction accidents, were injured, or lost a loved one, it is important to seek counsel from a knowledgeable construction accident attorney in Los Angeles who will give you an honest and accurate assessment of your case. At Pacific Attorney Group, we will provide straightforward answers that can help you get moving in the right direction. With our experience and our commitment to protecting the rights of the injured, we are confident in our ability to make a difference in your claim.
Your ability to recover maximum compensation from all possible sources may directly influence your financial stability and overall well-being. Allow a professional at our firm to protect your interests in the face of a dispute, delay, or denial to seek the financial and medical help you deserve. Contact our Los Angeles construction accident lawyer today.
The initial consultation is free. Call or email us to schedule a free consultation. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Los Angeles construction accident attorneys will travel to wherever is most convenient for you to meet and speak about your case.