Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyers Helping Victims & Families
A bicycle accident may cause catastrophic and potentially fatal injuries. Of all traffic accidents, those involving a bicyclist are often the most serious – most frequently to the rider of the bicycle rather than the driver or occupants of the motor vehicle involved. A bicycle accident may cause a range of injuries, including broken bones or fractures, head trauma and brain injury, neck, and spinal cord injury & catastrophic injuries, and permanent disability. If you or someone you care about has been hurt in a bicycle accident caused by another, you may have a right to compensation. At Pacific Attorney Group, our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer fight to protect the rights of victims and families and secure compensation for their losses, which may include:
- Medical bills
- Cost of future medical treatment
- Lost work wages
- Lost future earnings or earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional injuries
To learn more about your right to compensation and the potential value of your claim, talk to a Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer.
Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Statistics
In 2008, 52,000 bicyclists were injured in traffic accidents throughout the United States (according to statistics compiled by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.) California ranked highest in all the states for the number of bicycle accident injuries, with 3,434. Why are bicyclists at risk of serious injury in the event of an accident with a motor vehicle?
A bicycle is a lightweight, non-motorized vehicle that offers a rider no protection in the event of a collision. Because a motor vehicle is so much heavier and larger than a bicycle, the bicycle and rider will sustain the brunt of the impact and therefore the most damage. Brain injury, head trauma, spine injury, multiple bone fractures, and serious neck injury are all types of physical trauma a bicyclist may experience.
If you, a friend, or a family member were injured in a bicycle accident anywhere in the greater Los Angeles area, our firm may be able to help. At Pacific Attorney Group, we represent clients in all types of serious injury claims, including those involving bicycle accidents and all types of motor vehicles. We welcome calls 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Don’t hesitate to call us to schedule a consultation with an experienced Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible.
Bicycle Accident Injuries in Los Angeles, CA
Bicycle accidents can result in a range of injuries, varying from minor cuts and bruises to more severe and life-threatening injuries. The extent and type of injuries can depend on various factors, including the speed of the collision, the location of impact, the use of safety gear, and the general health of the cyclist. Here are some common injuries associated with bicycle accidents:
- Scrapes, cuts, and bruises: These are often minor injuries and can occur due to contact with the pavement, other vehicles, or objects during the accident.
- Fractures and broken bones: The impact of a bicycle accident can cause fractures or breaks in the arms, legs, wrists, ankles, collarbones, or ribs.
- Head injuries: Head injuries are a significant concern in bicycle accidents, especially if the cyclist wasn’t wearing a helmet. They can range from concussions and mild traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) to more severe brain damage.
- Spinal cord injuries: In severe accidents, spinal cord injuries can occur, leading to partial or complete paralysis.
- Soft tissue injuries: Damage to soft tissues such as muscles, ligaments, and tendons can result in strains, sprains, and dislocations.
- Internal injuries: The force of impact can cause internal injuries, including damage to organs, internal bleeding, or injuries to the abdomen or chest.
- Facial injuries: Cyclists may sustain facial injuries such as fractures to the jaw or cheekbones, dental injuries, or lacerations.
It’s important to note that the severity of injuries can vary widely, and the best course of action after a bicycle accident is to seek immediate medical attention. A healthcare professional can assess your injuries, provide necessary treatment, and advise you on further steps to take for your recovery.
Types of Bicycle Accidents Los Angeles, CA
There are various types of bicycle accidents that can occur, depending on the circumstances and factors involved. Here are some common types of bicycle accidents:
- Vehicle Collisions: These accidents involve a collision between a bicycle and a motor vehicle, such as a car, truck, or motorcycle. They can occur at intersections, when a vehicle fails to yield, during lane changes, or due to distracted driving.
- Dooring Accidents: A dooring accident happens when a cyclist collides with a car door that is opened suddenly in their path. It commonly occurs when a driver or passenger in a parked car opens their door without checking for oncoming cyclists.
- Intersection Accidents: Intersection accidents involve collisions between bicycles and other vehicles at intersections. These accidents can occur when drivers fail to yield right-of-way, run red lights or stop signs, or fail to see the cyclist.
- Bicycle Lane Accidents: Cyclists can be involved in accidents while riding in designated bicycle lanes. These accidents can happen due to vehicles illegally entering or parking in the bicycle lane, sudden turns or lane changes by drivers, or when a cyclist is forced to leave the bicycle lane due to obstructions.
- Road Hazards: Accidents can occur when cyclists encounter road hazards such as potholes, uneven surfaces, debris, or slippery conditions. These hazards can cause the cyclist to lose control and fall.
- Right Hook and Left Cross Accidents: “Right hook” accidents occur when a vehicle turning right collides with a cyclist traveling straight through an intersection. “Left cross” accidents occur when a vehicle turning left collides with a cyclist going straight or crossing the intersection.
- Sideswipe Accidents: Sideswipe accidents involve a vehicle brushing or colliding with a cyclist from the side. This can happen when a vehicle is changing lanes without properly checking for cyclists or misjudging the passing distance.
- Single-Bicycle Accidents: These accidents occur when a cyclist loses control and falls without involving any other vehicles. They can happen due to factors such as uneven surfaces, mechanical failures, or loss of balance.
It’s important to note that these are just a few examples of common bicycle accidents. Each accident is unique, and the specific circumstances can vary greatly. If you’ve been involved in a bicycle accident, it’s crucial to report the incident, seek medical attention, and consider consulting with a bicycle accident attorney in Los Angeles to understand your rights and options.
The Role of Driver Negligence in Bicycle Accidents
Many motorists simply do not see bicyclists or pedestrians until it is too late. Studies have shown that drivers are more likely to focus on frequent dangers, such as oncoming traffic and other drivers. When sharing the road with a bicycle rider, the motorist may be entirely unaware of the cyclist’s presence or may not understand the cyclist’s right of way. This can easily cause a serious bicycle accident and therefore injury or even death.
Role of Defective Bicycle Equipment in Accidents
Many bicyclists choose to wear helmets and elbow and knee pads. This practice does help to prevent injuries in minor accidents but helps very little when involved in major collisions with vehicles. However, it is extremely imperative to always wear a helmet and protective gear while bicycling in Los Angeles.
With protective gear, defects can occur and are sometimes responsible for inadequately protecting the bicyclist. A product can even cause more harm to the bicyclist just by being defective. When this occurs, a Los Angeles bicycle accident attorney can help you with any defective productive liability claims. The attorney will work to compensate you against the manufacturer.
Liability in Los Angeles Bicycle Injury Cases
Either a bicycle rider or a motorist may be held liable in a bicycle accident. Bicyclists must observe the same rules as motorists, including stop signs and signals, as well as lane markings. Motorists must also safely share the road with bicyclists, allowing at least 3 feet of clearance when passing a bicycle rider and yielding to cyclists at intersections just as they would yield to another car or truck. Drivers should watch for bicyclists before opening car doors or pulling out from parking spaces as well.
If you were recently injured by a driver while bicycling, you should contact a bicycle accident attorney. Many bicycling accidents result in serious injuries that require medical attention and treatment. If your injuries required costly exams, medication, or surgery, you should seek legal counsel. A Los Angeles bicycle accident attorney at our firm may be able to assist you in filing a civil lawsuit against the driver or whatever party caused the accident to recover your damages. This can help you rebuild your life financially, physically, and emotionally so you and your family can move on.
Finding the Right Representation For Bicycle Accidents in Los Angeles
If you’re looking for a bicycle accident lawyer in Los Angeles, there are several steps you can take to find the right legal representation:
- Research online: Use search engines or legal directories to find lawyers specializing in personal injury or bicycle accident cases in Los Angeles. Look for lawyers who have experience and positive reviews in handling similar cases.
- Ask for recommendations: Reach out to friends, family members, or colleagues who may have had personal experiences with bicycle accident lawyers in Los Angeles. They might be able to provide recommendations based on their own experiences.
- State and local bar associations: Contact the State Bar of California or local bar associations to get referrals for lawyers who specialize in personal injury cases or bicycle accidents. They can provide you with a list of qualified attorneys in your area.
- Initial consultations: Once you have a list of potential lawyers, schedule initial consultations to discuss your case. Many lawyers offer free initial consultations where you can discuss the details of your accident and determine if they are a good fit for your needs.
- During these consultations, ask about the lawyer’s experience, success rate, fees, and how they would approach your case. It’s essential to choose a lawyer who has experience with bicycle accident cases and is familiar with the laws and regulations specific to California.
Were you seriously injured in a bicycle accident in the Los Angeles area? Contact a Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyer at our offices for a free consultation.
Take Action with a Los Angeles Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Have you or a friend or family member been involved in a bicycle accident? At Pacific Attorney Group, we help people just like you take legal action in these matters.
Bicycle injuries may result in time lost from work which is more than just an inconvenience, but a threat to one’s livelihood. If your injuries are causing you future loss of income or affecting your close relationships, you should contact one of our Los Angeles bicycle accident attorneys.
Our attorneys will work to get you compensation for any injuries or damages done to your bicycle. They will also work to compensate you for the physical suffering and pain associated with the injuries. Do not hesitate to contact us because you are afraid our services will be costly. If we decide to take your case, our attorneys will not charge you unless we win your case. We will not get paid unless we can get you paid.
The initial consultation is free. Call or email us to schedule a free consultation. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our Los Angeles bicycle accident lawyers will travel to wherever is most convenient for you to meet and speak about your case.