Kassandra Sepulveda Killed in Knightsen DUI Pedestrian Accident on Byron Highway
Knightsen, California (September 7, 2021) – 18-year-old Kassandra Sepulveda has been identified as one of the two Pittsburg victims who died following a DUI pedestrian accident Saturday night in Knightsen, Contra Costa County.
The deadly crash took place along Byron Highway at about 11:14 p.m. on September 4.
A 2002 Subaru Impreza driven by 18-year-old Colby Shraver of Knightsen reportedly hit Sepulveda and a 16-year-old Oakley boy while walking on the narrow shoulder of the highway at the night hours.
Kassandra Sepulveda Fatal Knightsen Pedestrian Accident
Sadly, both Kassandra and the Oakley boy were pronounced dead at the scene.
The California Highway Patrol affirmed that Colby was intoxicated at the collision time.
Meanwhile, Shraver was arrested for two counts of vehicular manslaughter and driving under the influence.
An investigation into the fatal accident is underway.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.