80-Year-Old Gardena Woman Killed, 4 Injured in Temecula Crash on Interstate 15 Freeway near Rancho California Road
Temecula, California (August 20, 2021) – A three-vehicle collision has claimed the life of a Gardena woman and left four other people injured Thursday night in Temecula, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The deadly crash happened at around 9:50 p.m. on August 19 on Interstate 15 Freeway near Rancho California Road.
CHP said Jawed Naweed, 36, of Menifee, was driving on the Rancho California Road on-ramp at a high rate of speed when he failed to negotiate a turn and his vehicle drifted off into the freeway’s lanes, where it collided with another car occupied by a man and two Gardena women.
Naweed’s vehicle was then hit by an SUV.
Deadly Crash on I-15 in Temecula
The rear passenger of the second car, an 80-year-old Gardena woman, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her name has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin.
Four patients were transported to various hospitals with moderate injuries. Their conditions at this time remained unknown.
Naweed reportedly jumped into an SUV after the crash and was driven away. He later returned to the scene of the accident and surrendered to officers.
Naweed was eventually arrested and booked into jail on suspicion of DUI, hit-and-run, and gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. His bail was set at $75,000.
The crash remains under investigation.
Tips on What to do after a Car Accident in California
- Always stop and remain at the scene.
- Check if you or your passengers have been injured. In case someone is hurt, call emergency services or ask someone else to help.
- Get to safety – If your car is drivable, move it to a safe area. If it’s not, turn your hazard lights on and set up flares.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Never discuss or admit fault. Instead, wait for a police officer and insurance companies representatives to figure out the fault.
- Document the accident and exchange information with other drivers.
If you have lost someone you love in a car accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.