Francisco Lopez ID’d as Pedestrian Hit and Injured by Vehicle Sunday Night on Avenue 416 near Road 125 in Tulare County
Tulare County, California (August 18, 2021) – Francisco Lopez, 47, of Orosi, has been identified as the pedestrian who was injured after being struck by a vehicle Sunday night in Tulare County, according to a report by the California Highway Patrol.
At around 8:30 p.m. on August 15, emergency personnel responded to Avenue 416, just east of Road 125, to investigate the report of a traffic accident.
As per the CHP report, Lopez was trying to cross Avenue 416 northbound when he was hit by a 1997 Nissan that was traveling eastbound in the No. 2 lane at about 20 miles per hour.
Pedestrian Hit, Injured by Vehicle in Tulare County Sunday, August 15
Lopez was taken to Kaweah Health Medical Center in unknown condition.
The driver involved, Ruel Baniaga, 64, also of Orosi, stopped at the scene after hitting Lopez.
No other details were provided.
The crash remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law firm at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.