Caleb Chavez Severely Injured in Porterville Collision on Highway 65 near Morton Avenue
Porterville, California (August 7, 2021) – Caleb Chavez, 23, was among three people who were injured in a three-vehicle collision that also left one other person dead early Friday morning in Porterville, the California Highway Patrol reported.
The deadly crash occurred at around 3:12 a.m. Friday, August 6 on Highway 65 near Morton Avenue.
According to the CHP, a 2014 International carrying diesel tank was heading southbound on Highway 65 when the vehicle had a tire failure and slammed into a guard rail.
The semi-truck then came to a rest in the oncoming lanes. A southbound 2021 GMC Sierra driven by Ibrahim Homran, 23, of Bakersfield, then struck the left rear of the semi-truck.
A 2003 Honda Accord driven by a 21-year-old Porterville man, also hit the left rear of the semi-truck.
Highway 65 Crash in Porterville Kills 1, Injures 3
The Honda driver, whose name has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Chavez, who was a passenger in the Honda, suffered major injuries and was taken by ground ambulance to the Kaweah Delta Medical Center. Homran was airlifted to the same hospital with major injuries.
The driver of the big rig had minor injuries.
Southbound Highway 65 between Henderson and Olive Avenues was closed while crews clean up the diesel spilled from the truck.
Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the crash.
No further details about the crash were immediately provided.
The accident remains under investigation.
Tips on What to do after a Car Accident in California
- Always stop and remain at the scene.
- Check if you or your passengers have been injured. In case someone is hurt, call emergency services or ask someone else to help.
- Get to safety – If your car is drivable, move it to a safe area. If it’s not, turn your hazard lights on and set up flares.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Never discuss or admit fault. Instead, wait for a police officer and insurance companies representatives to figure out the fault.
- Document the accident and exchange information with other drivers.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident and need legal help, call our law firm at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.