Oakland Hit And Run Accident Lawyers
In the bustling streets of Oakland, not all drivers make responsible choices. When a driver collides with another vehicle and chooses to flee the scene, they commit a serious offense known as a hit-and-run accident.
Under California law, drivers involved in accidents causing injury or death are legally obligated to stop, exchange contact information, provide vehicle details, share insurance information, and offer assistance to those injured in the collision. Failure to adhere to these legal obligations can lead to both civil and criminal repercussions.
Hit-and-run accidents, like elsewhere, are considered a crime in Oakland. These incidents not only leave victims grappling with physical and emotional trauma but also financial burdens. However, for those affected by such accidents, there is hope.
As the Hit and Run Accident Lawyers in Oakland, our dedicated team of personal injury attorneys at the Pacific Attorney Group boasts an impressive collective experience of over 100 years. We are committed to helping victims of hit-and-run accidents navigate the legal complexities, seek justice, and recover the financial compensation they rightfully deserve.
What Are Examples Of Hit And Run Crashes In Oakland?
Hit and run crashes in Oakland can take various forms, and they can occur in different situations. Here are some examples of hit and run crashes that have occurred in Oakland:
- Pedestrian Hit and Run: A pedestrian is crossing the street at a crosswalk when a car strikes them, causing injuries. Instead of stopping to provide assistance or exchange information, the driver quickly flees the scene.
- Bicycle Hit and Run: A cyclist is riding in a designated bike lane when a car veers into the lane and collides with the cyclist. The driver, rather than stopping, speeds away from the scene, leaving the injured cyclist behind.
- Intersection Collision: Two vehicles collide at an intersection due to one driver running a red light or failing to yield the right of way. Instead of staying at the scene to exchange information, the at-fault driver drives off, leaving the other driver and any passengers with damages and injuries.
- Parking Lot Hit and Run: While parked in a shopping center or parking lot, a driver returns to their car to find it has been struck by another vehicle. There are no notes or contact information left by the responsible driver who fled the scene.
- Residential Area Hit and Run: A driver loses control of their vehicle and crashes into a parked car in a residential neighborhood. Rather than taking responsibility, the driver leaves the scene, leaving the owner of the parked car to deal with the damage.
- Highway Hit and Run: A multi-vehicle accident occurs on a highway, and one of the drivers involved in the crash decides to leave the scene without providing any information or assistance to injured parties.
- Drunk Driving Hit and Run: A driver under the influence of alcohol or drugs causes an accident and, realizing the potential legal consequences, decides to flee the scene to avoid DUI charges.
- Hit and Run with Injuries: In a severe hit and run, one vehicle collides with another, resulting in serious injuries or even fatalities. The at-fault driver escapes the scene, leaving victims in need of medical attention and justice.
These are just a few examples of hit and run crashes that can occur in Oakland. Hit and run accidents can vary in severity, but they all involve a driver fleeing the scene of an accident without taking responsibility for their actions, which is both illegal and morally unacceptable.
Victims of such accidents often require the assistance of hit and run accident lawyers to seek compensation and justice.
What To Do After A Hit And Run Accident In Oakland?
Experiencing a hit and run accident in Oakland can be a traumatic and stressful situation. It’s essential to know what steps to take to protect yourself and your rights in the aftermath of such an incident. Here’s what you should do:
- Ensure Safety: First and foremost, check yourself and any passengers for injuries. If you or anyone else is seriously injured, call 911 immediately to request medical assistance. Your health and safety should be the top priority.
- Secure the Scene: If possible, move your vehicle to a safe location to avoid further accidents or hazards. Turn on your hazard lights to alert other drivers to the situation.
- Obtain Information: Make an effort to recall as many specifics as you can about the hit-and-run car. Make a note of the vehicle’s make, model, color, license plate number (even a portion of the plate might be useful), as well as any distinguishing characteristics or damage. Inquire for the contact details of any witnesses.
- Contact the Police: Call the Oakland Police Department to report the hit and run. Provide them with all the details you have gathered, including a description of the other vehicle and any witnesses. A police report is crucial for insurance claims and legal actions.
- Document the Scene: Take pictures of the accident scene, your vehicle’s damage, any injuries you or your passengers sustained, and any debris or skid marks on the road. These photos can serve as valuable evidence.
- Notify Your Insurance Company: Contact your own insurance company to report the hit and run. Provide them with the police report and any other relevant information. Your insurance company will guide you through the claims process, and if you have uninsured motorist coverage, it may help cover your damages.
- Consult with an Attorney: If you were injured in the hit and run or suffered significant property damage, consider consulting with a hit and run accident attorney in Oakland. They can provide guidance on legal options, help you navigate the claims process, and work to recover compensation on your behalf.
- Notify the DMV: Within ten days of the accident, you must file an SR-1 form with the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) if the hit-and-run caused injuries or property damage worth more than $1,000.
- Stay Informed: Keep track of any updates from the police, your insurance company, and your attorney regarding the investigation and legal proceedings related to the hit and run.
Remember that the specific steps you take may vary depending on the circumstances of the hit and run. Seeking legal guidance and representation can be particularly helpful in hit and run cases to ensure you receive the compensation you deserve and hold the responsible party accountable.
Your Next Step: Call A Hit And Run Attorney At The Pacific Attorney Group
If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident in Oakland and are facing the challenges that come with such a situation, don’t hesitate to reach out to us. Our team of experienced hit and run accident attorneys at the Pacific Attorney Group is dedicated to assisting victims like you. We understand the complexities of hit and run cases and are committed to helping you seek justice and the compensation you deserve.
Call us today for a free consultation and let us provide you with the guidance and legal support needed during this difficult time. Our compassionate and skilled attorneys will work tirelessly to protect your rights and hold the responsible party accountable. You don’t have to navigate this challenging situation alone – we’re here to advocate for you every step of the way.