Talk to an Expert Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyer
A dog attack is one of the most frightening experiences a person may endure. Although dogs are widely known as “man’s best friend,” they are still animals and therefore may be subject to instinct. They may also be abused or raised in such a way as to be increasingly aggressive. If you or a loved one has been injured in a dog attack in the LA area, please contact Pacific Attorney Group today and talk to a Los Angeles dog bite lawyer.
We are happy to offer a free initial consultation to discuss your case. A dog bite may cause serious injury, particularly if the victim is a small child. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the odds that a child will be the victim of a dog bite are 3.2 to 1. Most dog bite injuries are to the face and may result in infection, scarring, and disfigurement. If the injuries are severe enough, they may lead to death.
Strict Liability in Dog Bite Claims in California
The strict liability rule for dog bites is a legal principle that holds dog owners responsible for injuries caused by their dogs, regardless of whether the owner was negligent or aware of the dog’s aggressive tendencies. Under strict liability, if a dog bites someone, the owner is typically held liable for the resulting injuries, regardless of the dog’s past behavior or the owner’s knowledge of it.
Here are key points to understand about the strict liability rule for dog bites:
- Liability: The dog owner is considered liable for injuries caused by their dog biting another person, regardless of whether the owner was at fault or knew about the dog’s propensity to bite.
- Applicability: The strict liability rule usually applies when the victim was lawfully present in a public place or lawfully on private property at the time of the incident, such as a guest or invited worker.
- Exceptions: There are some exceptions to strict liability. For example, if the victim provoked the dog, was trespassing, or engaged in illegal activities, the dog owner’s liability may be reduced or eliminated. Additionally, the rule generally does not apply to incidents involving police or military dogs performing their duties.
- Damages: If a dog bite occurs and the owner is held liable, the victim may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages related to the injury.
Specific laws regarding dog bites, including the strict liability rule, can vary by jurisdiction. Some states may have different standards of liability, such as a “one-bite” rule, which requires evidence of the
dog’s prior aggressive behavior or the owner’s knowledge of it. Consulting with a Los Angeles dog bite lawyer familiar with the laws is recommended to fully understand your rights and legal options in the event of a dog bite incident. If the dog owner attempts to allege that you provoked the dog or otherwise acted in such a way as to limit the dog owner’s liability, your lawyer will be prepared with evidence to support your side of the story.
Though strict liability typically serves to protect victims of dog bites and attacks, it is still important to work with a dog bite lawyer in Los Angeles if you would like to ensure that you will have the best opportunity not only of holding the proper party accountable but of seeking fair financial compensation for your injuries.
Scarring and Disfigurement Due to Dog Bites in Los Angeles, California
Due to the nature of a dog bite, scarring and/or disfigurement are possible repercussions that a victim will have to live with. While these may be addressed with plastic or reconstructive surgery, there are situations where a full recovery is impossible. Our experienced team understands the physical and psychological trauma that may be inflicted by a dog bite.
If you or someone you know is suffering from scarring and disfigurement as the result of injuries sustained in a dog attack, a Los Angeles dog bite lawyer at our firm can offer you valuable insight into handling your claim. With our experience in handling personal injury lawsuits, we can provide you with applicable information and guidance that will help you make the right choices for your case.
Recovering Compensation for Scarring and Disfigurement
Scarring and disfigurement resulting from a dog bite can have a significant impact on the physical and emotional well-being of the victim. In cases where a dog bite causes scarring or disfigurement, the victim may be entitled to compensation for the resulting damages. Here’s some information regarding scarring and disfigurement due to dog bites:
1. Medical Treatment: Seeking immediate medical attention is crucial after a dog bite to ensure proper treatment of the wound. Depending on the severity of the injury, medical interventions may include stitches, wound care, plastic surgery, or other procedures aimed at minimizing scarring and disfigurement.
2. Physical and Emotional Impact: Scarring and disfigurement resulting from a dog bite can have long-lasting effects on a person’s appearance, self-esteem, and mental well-being. It may lead to psychological distress, loss of confidence, and social or professional limitations.
Small scars may fade away. Serious scarring, however, or loss of a body part (such as the tip of the nose, ear, finger, etc.) may be difficult to repair. Plastic surgery and reconstructive surgery to restore form and function are extremely expensive. So is medical care immediately following a dog bite, including hospitalization, medication, medical supplies and more.
If you would like the best opportunity of recovering compensation for all of the medical expenses associated with your injuries, take this opportunity to involve a lawyer at our offices. At Pacific Attorney Group, we understand the gravity of the situation and will fight for you. Your initial consultation with our firm is free and confidential. Our Los Angeles dog bite lawyer can talk to you about how scarring and disfigurement may affect your case and can offer you the support you need in this difficult time.
Attacked by a Dog? Contact Los Angeles Dog Bite Lawyer at our firm
In a personal injury claim or lawsuit related to a dog bite, the victim may be eligible to seek compensation for various damages, including:
- Medical Expenses: Costs associated with medical treatment, surgeries, hospitalization, medications, and rehabilitation.
- Future Medical Expenses: Anticipated costs for ongoing medical care, scar revision surgeries, or other necessary treatments.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and psychological trauma resulting from scarring and disfigurement.
- Loss of Income: If the scarring or disfigurement affects the victim’s ability to work or results in a loss of earning capacity, they may be entitled to compensation for past and future lost wages.
- Disfigurement and Impairment: Damages awarded specifically for the visible scarring and disfigurement, as well as any resulting physical impairment.
Pursuing a claim for scarring and disfigurement due to a dog bite typically involves gathering evidence of the extent of the injuries, medical records, photographs, expert opinions, and witness testimonies. Consulting with a Los Angeles dog bite attorney can provide guidance on the legal process, help determine liability, and advocate for appropriate compensation.
Call or email us to schedule a free consultation. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our dog bite attorneys in Los Angeles will travel to wherever is most convenient for you to meet and speak about your case.