Left-Turn Motorcycle Accidents Lawyer
Left-turn motorcycle accidents are a common type of collision that occurs when a motorcyclist is involved in an accident with a vehicle making a left turn. These accidents often happen at intersections or when a driver fails to yield the right of way to an oncoming motorcycle.
Left-turn motorcycle accidents can be particularly dangerous and result in severe injuries or even fatalities for the motorcyclist.
How Do Left-turn Motorcycle Accidents Happen?
Left-turn motorcycle accidents occur when a motorcyclist, who has the right of way, is involved in a collision with a vehicle making a left turn. In these situations, the motorcyclist becomes the victim of the accident. Here are some common scenarios in which left-turn motorcycle accidents can happen:
- Failure to Yield: A driver fails to yield to an oncoming motorcyclist while making a left turn at an intersection or driveway. This could be due to misjudgment of the motorcyclist’s speed or a failure to recognize their presence on the road.
- Blind Spot Negligence: A driver fails to check their blind spots thoroughly before making a left turn, leading to a collision with a motorcyclist who is within their blind spot.
- Distracted Driving: The driver is distracted by texting, talking on the phone, eating, or engaging in any other activity that diverts their attention away from the road. As a result, they may not notice an approaching motorcyclist and make a left turn, causing a collision.
- Misjudgment of Speed: The driver underestimates the speed at which the motorcyclist is traveling, leading them to misjudge the time available to complete the left turn safely.
- Reckless Driving: The driver engages in aggressive driving behaviors, such as speeding, running a red light, or making an illegal left turn, without yielding to oncoming traffic, including the motorcyclist.
- Intoxicated Driving: The driver operates the vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs, impairing their judgment and reaction time, which increases the likelihood of a left-turn collision with a motorcyclist.
It is important to note that regardless of the cause, the motorcyclist has the right of way in most left-turn scenarios. Drivers have a responsibility to exercise caution, obey traffic laws, and yield to oncoming traffic, including motorcycles, before making a left turn.
If you are a motorcyclist involved in a left-turn accident, it is essential to consult with a personal injury attorney. They can evaluate your case, gather evidence, assess liability, and help you pursue a claim for compensation for your injuries and damages.
Left-Turn Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Left-turn motorcycle accidents can result in a range of injuries for the motorcyclist, often due to the vulnerability of the rider and the force of the collision. These injuries can vary in severity and may have long-lasting physical, emotional, and financial effects. Some common injuries associated with left-turn motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBIs): The impact of a left-turn collision can cause the motorcyclist’s head to strike the ground or another object, leading to traumatic brain injuries. TBIs can range from concussions to more severe conditions like skull fractures or brain hemorrhages, which may result in cognitive impairments, memory loss, or even permanent disability.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: The force of the impact in a left-turn accident can cause damage to the spinal cord. This can lead to partial or complete paralysis. These types of injuries can have life-altering consequences, affecting mobility, sensation, and bodily functions.
- Fractures and Broken Bones: The impact of the accident can cause the motorcyclist to suffer fractures or broken bones, including broken limbs, ribs, or pelvis. These injuries often require extensive medical treatment, surgeries, and lengthy recovery periods.
- Road Rash and Soft Tissue Injuries: When a motorcyclist is thrown from their bike in a left-turn accident, they can slide across the pavement, resulting in road rash. Road rash refers to abrasions, cuts, and scrapes on the skin. Additionally, soft tissue injuries such as bruises, sprains, strains, and ligament damage can also occur.
- Internal Injuries: The impact from the collision can cause internal injuries, including organ damage or internal bleeding. These injuries may not always be immediately apparent but can be life-threatening if left untreated.
- Psychological Trauma: Motorcycle accidents can lead to psychological trauma, such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression. The emotional impact of the accident and the resulting injuries can have long-term effects on the motorcyclist’s mental well-being.
Who is Liable for a Left Turn Accident?
In a left-turn accident where the motorcyclist is the victim, liability typically falls on the driver making the left turn. The motorist making the left turn has a duty to yield the right of way to oncoming traffic, including motorcycles. If the driver fails to exercise reasonable care and causes a collision with a motorcyclist while making a left turn, they are generally considered at fault and liable for the accident.
The motorcyclist, as the victim, is generally not held liable for the left-turn accident unless there are exceptional circumstances, such as if the motorcyclist was excessively speeding or running a red light at the time of the collision. However, it is important to note that the specific circumstances of the accident and any potential contributing factors will be evaluated to determine liability.
To establish liability and pursue compensation for injuries and damages as a motorcyclist involved in a left-turn accident, it is advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in motorcycle accidents. They can assess the details of your case, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and advocate for your rights to ensure you receive the full compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical, pain and suffering, and other related damages.
How Can the Pacific Attorney Group Help
The Pacific Attorney Group can provide valuable assistance and support if you are a motorcyclist who has been involved in a left-turn accident. Here are some ways we can help:
- Legal Expertise: The Pacific Attorney Group has a team of experienced personal injury attorneys who specialize in motorcycle accidents. Our firm has in-depth knowledge of California laws, including those specific to left-turn accidents, and can provide expert guidance throughout the legal process.
- Case Evaluation: Our attorneys will evaluate the details of your case, including the accident circumstances, injuries sustained, and any available evidence. They will assess liability and determine the strength of your claim, providing you with an understanding of your legal rights and potential compensation.
- Investigation: The Pacific Attorney Group will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident. We will gather evidence, interview witnesses, review police reports, and consult with accident reconstruction experts if necessary. This investigation aims to establish the negligence of the driver making the left turn and strengthen your case.
- Negotiation with Insurance Companies: Working with insurance companies can be difficult, as they can try to minimize or deny your claim. Our attorneys at the Pacific Attorney Group will handle all communication and negotiations with insurance representatives on your behalf. They will work to ensure you receive fair compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost salary, and other damages.
- Litigation Representation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, the Pacific Attorney Group is prepared to take your case to court. We will provide strong legal representation, presenting your case effectively to a judge and jury and advocating for your best interests.
- Support and Guidance: Dealing with the aftermath of a left-turn accident can be overwhelming. The Pacific Attorney Group will provide you with the support, compassion, and guidance you need during this challenging time. We will answer your questions, keep you updated on the progress of your case, and ensure you understand your options every step of the way.
By partnering with us at Pacific Attorney Group, you can benefit from our legal expertise, resources, and commitment to obtaining the maximum compensation for your left-turn motorcycle accident.
Book your free consultation today.