Victim of such accidents? Contact a personal injury attorney now.
An improper passing accident occurs when a driver attempts to pass another vehicle without proper clearance or in an unsafe manner, resulting in a collision. If you have been involved in an improper passing accident in Los Angeles, it is important to seek legal advice from an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you understand your legal options and seek compensation for your injuries.
What is Improper Passing Accident in LA
An improper passing accident in Los Angeles occurs when a driver attempts to pass another vehicle on the road in an unsafe or illegal manner. This can result in a collision or other type of accident. Examples of improper passing may include:
- Passing on the Right: It is generally illegal to pass another vehicle on the right, except in certain circumstances, such as when the vehicle being passed is making a left turn.
- Passing on a Curve or Hill: Passing on a curve or hill can be dangerous, as it can limit visibility and increase the risk of a collision.
- Passing in a No-Passing Zone: Passing in a no-passing zone, such as a double yellow line, is illegal and can result in a collision.
- Passing Without Sufficient Space: Passing too closely to another vehicle can increase the risk of a collision or cause the other driver to lose control of their vehicle.
In Los Angeles and throughout California, it is illegal for drivers to pass another vehicle in the following situations:
- When there is a solid yellow line on your side of the road. This indicates that it is unsafe to pass because of oncoming traffic, hills, curves, or other obstacles.
- When driving within 100 feet of an intersection or railroad crossing. Passing in these areas can be dangerous and can obstruct other drivers’ views.
- When driving within 100 feet of a bridge, viaduct, or tunnel if the view is obstructed.
- When driving within 500 to 1,000 feet of a fire station when a fire engine is present and its emergency lights are activated.
- When driving within 500 feet of a school building or grounds when children are outside or crossing the street.
- When passing a stopped school bus with its red lights flashing and stop sign extended.
Consequences of Improper Passing in LA
There are several consequences of improper passing in Los Angeles, including:
- Traffic Citations: If a driver is caught improperly passing another vehicle, they may be issued a traffic citation, which can result in fines and points on their driver’s license.
- Civil Liability: If an accident occurs as a result of improper passing, the passing driver may be held liable for any injuries or damages that result.
- Criminal Charges: In some cases, such as if the improper passing results in a serious injury or death, the passing driver may face criminal charges.
Also, the penalties for an improper pass on the left in Los Angeles may vary depending on the circumstances of the violation and the discretion of the traffic court judge.
However, typically, the penalties for an improper pass on the left may include a fine of up to $238, as well as one point on the driver’s record.
In some cases, the driver may also be required to attend traffic school or have their license suspended.
Damages You Can Claim After an Improper Passing Accident In LA
If you have been involved in an improper passing accident in Los Angeles, there are several types of damages you may be able to claim, including:
- Medical Expenses: If you were injured in the accident, you may be able to claim compensation for medical expenses, including hospital bills, doctor’s visits, medication, and rehabilitation costs.
- Lost Income: If you had to miss work due to the accident, you may be able to claim compensation for lost income or wages.
- Property Damage: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you may be able to claim compensation for repairs or replacement costs.
- Pain and Suffering: You may be able to claim compensation for physical and emotional pain and suffering resulting from the accident.
- Loss of enjoyment of Life: If the accident has caused you to be unable to enjoy activities or experiences that you previously enjoyed, you may be able to claim compensation for this loss.
- Wrongful Death: If the accident resulted in the death of a loved one, you may be able to claim compensation for funeral expenses, loss of income, and other damages.
It is important to consult with an experienced attorney to determine the types of damages you may be able to claim and to ensure that you receive fair compensation for your losses.
Our team at the Pacific Attorney Group can help you get the compensation.
Our Team at the Pacific Attorney Group Can Help You
As legal professionals, the team at the Pacific Attorney Group can provide you with guidance and support in navigating the legal process after an improper passing accident in LA.
- Investigating the Accident: We will gather evidence, review police reports, and interview witnesses to help build a strong case on your behalf.
- Determining Liability: We will work to determine who is at fault for the accident and hold them accountable for your damages.
- Calculating Damages: We will assess the full extent of your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and future expenses, to help ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: We will work with insurance companies on your behalf to negotiate a fair settlement.
- Representing You in Court: If necessary, we will represent you in court to fight for your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Our goal is to provide you with personalized legal representation and help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
We offer free consultation, contact us immediately for assistance.