Whiplash injuries are common in car accidents and occur when the head and neck are rapidly jolted back and forth, causing damage to the soft tissues of the neck. This type of injury can occur in both low-impact and high-impact accidents and can lead to a variety of symptoms, including neck pain, stiffness, headaches, and dizziness.
Whiplash injuries can also result in long-term or chronic pain if not properly treated.
If you have suffered whiplash injuries in a car accident, it may be a good idea to seek the help of an attorney. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you understand your legal options.
What is Whiplash?
Whiplash can occur when a sudden force causes the head to jerk forward and then backward or vice versa, causing the neck to move beyond its normal range of motion. This can happen in car accidents, particularly in rear-end collisions, but it can also occur in other situations, such as sports injuries or physical assault.
The sudden force causes the soft tissues in the neck, including muscles, tendons, and ligaments, to stretch and strain, which can result in pain, stiffness, and other symptoms.
How Common Are They?
According to the American Chiropractic Association, whiplash injuries affect about two million Americans every year. Additionally, whiplash is the most common injury sustained in motor vehicle accidents, accounting for about 65% of all bodily injury claims.
Symptoms of Whiplash
Symptoms of whiplash can vary depending on the severity of the injury and can include:
- Neck pain and stiffness
- Headaches, particularly at the base of the skull
- Blurred vision
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering
- Jaw pain or difficulty chewing
- Shoulder, arm or back pain
- Numbness or tingling in the arms
- Ringing in the ears
These symptoms may not appear immediately after the accident and may take a few days or even weeks to become noticeable. It is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible if you suspect you may have whiplash.
Can You Seek Damages for a Whiplash Injury in Los Angeles
You can seek damages for a whiplash injury sustained in a car accident in Los Angeles. Damages may include compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other related expenses.
In California, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including those for whiplash, is generally two years from the date of the accident. It is important to consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible after the accident to ensure that you do not miss any important deadlines and to help you build a strong case for your damages.
What Compensation Can I Get?
If you suffer a whiplash injury due to a car accident, you may be entitled to various types of compensation. These can include:
- Medical expenses: You can seek compensation for all medical expenses related to the diagnosis and treatment of your whiplash injury, including doctor’s appointments, hospital stays, diagnostic tests, prescription medications, physical therapy, and rehabilitation.
- Pain and suffering: Whiplash injuries can be very painful and can affect your ability to perform daily activities. You may be able to seek compensation for pain and suffering, as well as for any emotional distress or mental anguish caused by the accident.
- Lost income: If your whiplash injury prevents you from working or results in lost wages, you may be able to seek compensation for your lost income.
- Property damage: If your car or any other property was damaged in the accident, you may be able to seek compensation for the cost of repairs or replacement.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, if the person who caused the accident acted with gross negligence or intentionally caused harm, you may be able to seek punitive damages, which are intended to punish the responsible party and deter similar behavior in the future.
It’s important to note that the specific damages you may be able to recover will depend on the details of your case, and it’s recommended to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles to help you navigate the legal process and maximize your potential compensation.
Why Do You Need an Attorney for Whiplash Injury?
While it is possible to handle a whiplash injury claim on your own, hiring an attorney can greatly benefit you in several ways. Here are some reasons why you may want to consider hiring an attorney for a whiplash injury claim:
- Experience and Knowledge: An attorney who has experience in handling whiplash injury claims can provide you with invaluable knowledge and guidance throughout the legal process.
- Negotiation Skills: An attorney can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
- Maximizing Compensation: An attorney can help you maximize your compensation by identifying all potential sources of compensation and advocating for your rights.
- Litigation Experience: If your case goes to trial, an attorney can provide you with the representation you need in court.
- Reduce Stress: Handling a whiplash injury claim on your own can be stressful and overwhelming. Hiring an attorney can take the burden off your shoulders and allow you to focus on your recovery.
Overall, hiring an attorney for a whiplash injury claim can increase your chances of receiving fair compensation and provide you with the support you need during this difficult time.
How Can The Pacific Attorney Group Help
Pacific Attorney Group can help you by:
- Evaluating your Case: We can evaluate the circumstances of your accident and the extent of your injuries to determine the viability of your case and the potential compensation you may be able to recover.
- Gathering Evidence: We can gather evidence such as medical records, accident reports, witness statements, and other relevant documentation to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Negotiating with Insurance Companies: We can negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries and damages.
- Pursuing Legal Action: If necessary, we can pursue legal action to recover compensation for your injuries and damages through a personal injury lawsuit.
- Providing Support: We understand that dealing with a whiplash injury can be challenging, both physically and emotionally. We can provide support and guidance throughout the entire process to ensure that you receive the best possible outcome for your case.
Contact us to book a free consultation. We will help you with every step and get the compensation for your injuries.