Our Speeding Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Speeding is a major cause of car accidents in Los Angeles, as well as throughout the United States. Speeding accidents can result in serious injuries or even fatalities, and they can also cause significant property damage.
To help prevent speeding accidents in LA, it is important for drivers to obey posted speed limits and to adjust their speed based on weather and traffic conditions. Drivers should also avoid aggressive driving behaviors, such as tailgating and weaving between lanes, which can increase the risk of accidents.
If you have been involved in a speeding-related car accident in Los Angeles, it is important to seek medical attention immediately and to contact a qualified car accident attorney who can help you understand your legal rights and options.
What Are Some Important LA Speeding-Related Laws?
There are several important speeding-related laws in Los Angeles, California that drivers should be aware of:
- Basic Speed Law: California’s Basic Speed Law requires drivers to always drive at a safe speed for the current conditions, regardless of posted speed limits. This means that drivers may be found guilty of speeding even if they are driving within the posted speed limit if the road conditions require them to slow down.
- Speed Limits: Speed limits are posted on all roads and highways in California, and drivers are required to obey these limits. The maximum speed limit on most California highways is 65 miles per hour, but some areas may have lower limits.
- Reduced Speed Zones: Reduced speed zones are areas where the posted speed limit is lower than the usual speed limit. Examples of reduced speed zones include school zones and construction zones. Drivers are required to slow down and drive at the posted speed limit in these areas.
- Reckless Driving: California law defines reckless driving as driving a vehicle in a manner that shows a willful disregard for the safety of people or property. Excessive speeding can be considered reckless driving and is punishable by fines, points on your driving record, and even imprisonment.
- Speeding Tickets: Drivers who are caught speeding in Los Angeles may receive a speeding ticket. The fine for a speeding ticket varies depending on the speed at which the driver was traveling, and repeated speeding offenses can result in increased fines, license suspension, or even jail time.
Injuries Due to Speeding
Speeding is a common cause of car accidents, and it can result in a range of injuries, from minor to severe. Some common injuries that can occur due to speeding include:
- Whiplash: Whiplash is a common injury in rear-end collisions and occurs when the head and neck are rapidly jerked forward and then back. This can result in neck pain, headaches, and other symptoms.
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): A TBI can occur when the head is struck or jolted, such as in a high-speed car accident. This can result in a range of symptoms, from mild concussions to severe brain damage.
- Broken Bones: High-speed collisions can result in broken bones, including ribs, arms, and legs.
- Spinal Cord Injury: Spinal cord injuries can occur when the spinal cord is damaged, such as in a high-speed car accident. This can result in paralysis, loss of sensation, and other serious symptoms.
- Internal Injuries: Internal injuries, such as damage to organs or internal bleeding, can occur in high-speed collisions, even if there are no visible external injuries.
Street Racing in LA
Street racing is a dangerous and illegal activity that is unfortunately common in Los Angeles.
Street racing can cause serious injuries or death to drivers, passengers, and innocent bystanders.
Some of the reasons why street racing is particularly prevalent in LA include:
Car Culture: Los Angeles has a strong car culture, and many young people are passionate about modifying their cars and competing with others.
Wide, Straight Roads: Many of the city’s wide, straight roads are ideal for street racing, which can make it easier for drivers to reach high speeds.
Lack of Enforcement: Despite the efforts of law enforcement agencies, street racing continues to be a persistent problem in Los Angeles, and many drivers do not fear getting caught or facing significant penalties.
The consequences of street racing can be severe. In addition to causing injury and death, street racing can result in criminal charges, fines, and even imprisonment.
Here are some penalties for street racing in Los Angeles:
- Criminal Charges: Street racing is a criminal offense in California, and anyone caught participating in the activity can face charges of reckless driving, an exhibition of speed, and/or engaging in a speed contest.
- Fines: The fines for street racing in Los Angeles can be significant, with first-time offenders facing fines of up to $1,000 and repeat offenders facing even higher fines.
- Jail Time: Depending on the severity of the offense, street racing can result in jail time. First-time offenders can face up to three months in jail, while repeat offenders can face up to six months or more.
- License Suspension: Those convicted of street racing can have their driver’s license suspended for up to six months or longer.
- Car Impoundment: The vehicles of those caught in street racing can be impounded for up to 30 days.
- Civil Liability: Street racing accidents can result in civil lawsuits for damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
If you have been injured in a street racing accident or have lost a loved one due to this dangerous activity, it is important to contact a qualified car accident attorney in Los Angeles to help you understand your legal rights and options.
Speeding Accident Compensation
If you have been injured in a speeding accident in Los Angeles, California, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. The amount of compensation you can receive will depend on the specific circumstances of your case, including the extent of your injuries, the impact of the accident on your life, and the liability of the other driver.
Here are some types of compensation you may be eligible to receive:
- Medical Expenses: You can claim compensation for your medical expenses, including hospital bills, medication, rehabilitation, and other related expenses.
- Lost Wages: If you missed work or lost your job due to your injuries, you can claim compensation for lost wages and lost earning potential.
- Pain and Suffering: You may be eligible to receive compensation for the physical and emotional pain and suffering you experienced as a result of the accident.
- Property Damage: If your vehicle was damaged in the accident, you can claim compensation for repairs or replacement.
- Wrongful Death: If a loved one was killed in a speeding accident, you may be eligible to file a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for funeral expenses, loss of financial support, and other damages.
It is important to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney in Los Angeles who can help you assess the damages you suffered and determine the appropriate amount of compensation you should seek. Your attorney can also help you negotiate with insurance companies and fight for your rights in court if necessary.
The Pacific Attorney Group Can Help
The Pacific Attorney Group can assist you in a wide range of legal matters related to speeding accidents in Los Angeles. Our experienced attorneys can help you with the following:
- Investigation: We will conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, including analyzing police reports, talking to witnesses, and gathering other evidence to determine the cause of the accident and liability.
- Negotiation: We will negotiate and talk with insurance companies and other parties involved in the accident to help you obtain a fair settlement that covers your medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages.
- Litigation: If necessary, we will represent you in court and fight for your rights in a personal injury lawsuit to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.
- Assistance: Our attorneys will provide you with the guidance and support you need to navigate the legal process, answer your questions, and keep you informed every step of the way.
If you have been injured in a speeding accident in Los Angeles, contact the Pacific Attorney Group for a free consultation to learn more about how we can assist you.