Head Injuries Lawyer
Head injuries sustained during car accidents in Los Angeles can be among the most severe and devastating types of personal injuries. The brain’s vital role in daily functioning means that even seemingly minor head injuries should be treated as potentially significant. Immediate medical attention is crucial for accident victims with head trauma, which often involves ambulances, emergency rooms, and extended hospital stays.
However, the costs associated with these injuries, including medical expenses, can be significant. It is, therefore, advisable to seek the assistance of a head injury attorney to navigate the legal and financial aspects of such cases, regardless of the perceived severity of the injury.
Types of Head Injuries
There are several types of head injuries that can occur as a result of car accidents or other traumatic events. These include:
- Concussion: A concussion is a mild traumatic brain injury (TBI) caused by a blow to the head or a sudden jolt or movement of the head. It can result in temporary loss of consciousness, confusion, headache, dizziness, memory problems, and other cognitive or behavioral changes.
- Contusion: A contusion refers to a bruise on the brain caused by a direct impact on the head. It can lead to bleeding and localized damage to the brain tissue, potentially causing neurological deficits.
- Skull Fracture: A skull fracture takes place when there is a break in one or more bones of a person’s skull. Fractures can be classified as linear (a single, thin fracture line), depressed (a portion of the skull is pushed inward), or compound (the fracture breaks the skin).
- Diffuse Axonal Injury (DAI): DAI is a severe form of TBI caused by the brain rapidly shifting inside the skull, resulting in widespread damage to nerve fibers. It often leads to long-term cognitive and neurological impairments.
- Hemorrhage: Head injuries can cause different types of bleeding in the brain, including subdural hemorrhage (bleeding between the brain and the dura, the outermost covering of the brain), epidural hemorrhage (bleeding between the dura and the skull), or intracerebral hemorrhage (bleeding within the brain tissue).
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): TBIs range from mild (concussions) to severe, and they can have significant and long-lasting effects on cognitive, physical, and emotional functioning. Severe TBIs may involve skull fractures, extensive contusions, or other complications.
- Penetrating Injury: A penetrating head injury takes place when an object breaks through the skull and enters the brain. These injuries often cause significant damage to brain tissue and can be life-threatening.
Who Is Legally Responsible for Your Head Injury in Los Angeles
Determining legal responsibility for a head injury in Los Angeles after an auto accident depends on several factors. In general, the party or parties who may be legally responsible include:
- Negligent Drivers: If the head injury occurred due to the negligence of another driver involved in the auto accident, that driver may be legally responsible. Negligence refers to a failure to exercise reasonable care while driving, such as speeding, running red lights, driving under the influence, or distracted driving.
- Vehicle Owners: In some cases, the owner of the vehicle involved in the accident may be held responsible for the head injury if they negligently entrusted their vehicle to an incompetent or unfit driver or failed to properly maintain the vehicle, leading to the accident.
- Employers: If the at-fault driver was operating a vehicle in the course of their employment at the time of the accident, their employer may be held liable under the legal doctrine of vicarious liability. This applies to situations where the driver was acting within the scope of their employment responsibilities.
- Government Entities: If the auto accident was caused by a dangerous road condition or inadequate roadway maintenance, the government entity responsible for designing, constructing, or maintaining the road may be held liable.
- Manufacturers or Distributors: If a defective vehicle part or faulty equipment contributed to the accident and subsequent head injury, the manufacturer or distributor of the defective product may be held responsible through a product liability claim.
Determining liability can be complex, and it often requires a thorough investigation of the accident, gathering evidence, and analyzing relevant laws. It is advisable to consult with a personal injury attorney who specializes in auto accidents and head injuries in Los Angeles. An attorney can help evaluate your case, protect your rights, and pursue a legal claim for compensation if negligence or other factors contributed to your head injury.
We Can Help
The Pacific Attorney Group, based in Los Angeles, California, provides legal representation and assistance to head injury victims after car accidents. We understand the unique challenges and complexities associated with head injuries, and we are dedicated to helping victims pursue compensation for their damages.
Our attorneys at the Pacific Attorney Group have experience handling cases involving various types of head injuries, ranging from concussions and contusions to more severe traumatic brain injuries (TBIs). We recognize the significant impact that head injuries can have on a person’s life, including physical, cognitive, and emotional consequences.
When working with head injury victims after car accidents, the Pacific Attorney Group can provide the following services:
- Case Evaluation: Our attorneys will evaluate the details of the car accident and the resulting head injury to determine the strength of the case. They will assess liability, gather evidence, and identify potential sources of compensation.
- Legal Guidance: Our attorneys will provide guidance and support throughout the legal process. They will explain your rights, advise you on the best course of action, and help you navigate the complexities of insurance claims and legal proceedings.
- Compensation Recovery: The Pacific Attorney Group will work to recover maximum compensation for your head injury-related damages. This may include medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, rehabilitation costs, and future medical care.
- Advocacy and Negotiation: Our attorneys will negotiate with insurance companies and other parties involved to seek a fair settlement on your behalf. They will fight for your rights and for the compensation you deserve.
- Litigation, if necessary: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiations, the Pacific Attorney Group is prepared to take your case to court and represent your interests in litigation.
If you have suffered a head injury in a car accident, consult with the Pacific Attorney Group to discuss your case in detail and explore your legal options.
A free consultation is available.