Our Long Beach Wrongful Death Attorney Can Help You
Long Beach is a city in Los Angeles County, California, United States. It is the 43rd-most populous city in the U.S., with a population of 466,742 as of 2020. A charter city, Long Beach is the seventh-most populous city in California and the most populous city that is not a county seat. Incorporated in 1897, Long Beach lies in Southern California in the southern part of Los Angeles County. If you need a wrongful death lawyer in Long Beach, speak with our Long Beach wrongful death attorney to assist you and provide legal representation.
What Constitutes a Wrongful Death Case?
A wrongful death case can arise when someone dies as a result of another person’s negligence or intentional actions. Some common types of wrongful death cases include car accidents, medical malpractice, accidents at work, defective products, and train accidents. To prove a wrongful death claim in California, certain types of evidence may be required, such as medical records, witness testimonies, and expert opinions. It is important to consult with a Long Beach wrongful death attorney specializing in wrongful death cases to understand the legal aspects and ensure the best chance of receiving fair compensation.
It is also worth noting that the burden of proof in wrongful death cases is a “preponderance of the evidence”. This means that the plaintiff must demonstrate that it is more likely than not that the defendant’s negligence or wrongful act caused the death.
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death is a legal term that refers to the death of a person caused by the negligence or recklessness of another person or entity. Wrongful death cases can be complex and challenging, but they can be an important way for surviving family members to obtain compensation for their losses and to hold the responsible party accountable.
Here are some of the most common causes of wrongful death:
- Car accidents: Car accidents are the leading cause of wrongful death in the United States. They can be caused by a variety of factors, including drunk driving, distracted driving, speeding, and reckless driving.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor or other healthcare professional breaches their duty of care to a patient and causes the patient’s death. Medical malpractice can be caused by a variety of factors, including misdiagnosis, surgical errors, and medication errors.
- Product liability: Product liability cases arise when a defective product causes the user’s death. Product liability cases can be filed against the manufacturer, distributor, or retailer of the defective product.
- Workplace accidents: Workplace accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including unsafe working conditions, defective equipment, and negligence on the part of the employer or other employees.
- Criminal acts: Wrongful death cases can also arise from criminal acts such as murder, assault, and manslaughter.
If you have lost a loved one due to the negligence or recklessness of another person or entity, you should consult with an experienced Long Beach wrongful death attorney to discuss your legal options.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in Long Beach, California
In the state of California, the legal right to file a wrongful death lawsuit is typically reserved for immediate family members who have been most affected by the death of the victim. The order of priority for filing a suit is as follows:
- Spouse or domestic partner of the deceased.
- Children of the deceased (including adopted children).
- Grandchildren of the deceased (if the deceased’s children are also deceased).
- Other minor children who were dependent on the deceased for at least 50% of their financial support.
- Anyone who would be entitled to the deceased’s property through intestate succession.
To be eligible to sue for wrongful death in California, certain criteria and requirements must be met.
- First, the death must have been caused by the negligence or wrongful act of another party. It is important to establish that the defendant’s actions directly caused the death.
- Second, the plaintiff must be able to demonstrate that they have suffered financial losses or emotional distress as a result of the death. This can include loss of financial support, loss of companionship, or other damages.
The Potential Outcomes And Compensation In Wrongful Death Cases
In wrongful death cases, the potential outcomes and compensation can vary depending on the specific circumstances and laws of the jurisdiction. Compensation in wrongful death cases may include:
- Economic Damages: This includes medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, lost wages and future earning capacity of the deceased, and any other financial losses suffered as a result of the death.
- Non-Economic Damages: These can include compensation for the pain and suffering experienced by the deceased before their death, as well as the loss of companionship, care, guidance, and support that the surviving family members have suffered.
- Punitive Damages: In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded to punish the responsible party for their reckless or intentional actions.
It is important to consult with a Long Beach wrongful death attorney specializing in wrongful death cases to understand the potential outcomes and compensation specific to your situation and jurisdiction.
The Importance of Hiring a Long Beach Death Attorney In Wrongful Death Cases
Hiring a Long Beach wrongful death lawyer in wrongful death cases is crucial for several reasons. Firstly, the legal landscape surrounding wrongful death cases can be complex and requires specialized knowledge and expertise. A lawyer specializing in wrongful death cases will have the necessary experience and understanding to navigate through the legal process effectively.
They can handle the legal aspects of your case, gather the required evidence such as medical records, witness testimonies, and expert opinions, and present a strong case on your behalf. Additionally, a Long Beach wrongful death attorney can help you recover various damages, including medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, and emotional distress. By hiring a lawyer, you increase your chances of receiving fair compensation and holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Understanding Wrongful Death Cases: Why Hiring a Long Beach Wrongful Death Attorney is Essential
Wrongful death cases can be complex, and hiring a Long Beach wrongful death attorney is essential for several reasons. Firstly, a wrongful death lawyer specializing in truck accidents has the expertise and knowledge to navigate the legal landscape specific to these cases. They understand the intricacies of truck accident laws and can build a strong case to prove negligence or fault, ensuring that you have the best chance of receiving the compensation you deserve.
Secondly, a lawyer can handle the legal aspects of your case, allowing you to focus on grieving and healing from the loss of your loved one. They will gather evidence, interview witnesses, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent your interests in court if necessary. Finally, a Long Beach attorney can help you recover various damages such as medical expenses, funeral costs, loss of income, and emotional distress. They will ensure that you receive fair compensation, taking into account the financial and emotional impact of your loss.
Contact Long Beach Wrongful Death Attorney At Pacific Attorney Group
There is a statute of limitations for filing a wrongful death lawsuit in California. Generally, eligible family members have two years from the date of the victim’s death to file a civil lawsuit. However, there are exceptions and specific limitations that may apply. For instance, if the death was caused by a governmental entity, official notification of intent to sue must be provided within six months of the injury.
It can be very hard to deal with the unexpected loss of someone you love, and at Pacific Attorney Group we strive to handle wrongful death cases with compassion and sensitivity. We understand that the last thing you feel like doing at this time is getting involved in a messy legal battle, so we will do everything we can to handle the situation so that you can focus on your emotional recovery. Contact a Long Beach wrongful death lawyer at Pacific Attorney Group today if your loved one has been killed because of someone’s negligence.