Xinriu Li ID’d as 13-Year-Old Girl Killed in Hit-and-Run Crash at Asuza Avenue and Fairgrove Avenue in West Covina; Juvenile Driver Arrested
West Covina, California (August 31, 2021) – The Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office has identified the girl who died Sunday night in a hit-and-run accident in West Covina as Xinriu Li, 13, of West Covina.
Shortly after 7:35 p.m., Sunday, August 29, West Covina police responded to the intersection of Asuza and Fairgrove avenues to investigate the report of a hit-and-run crash.
When the officers arrived at the location, they found Li lying unresponsive on the roadway.
Despite life-saving measures performed by the officers, Li was pronounced dead at the scene.
The involved driver did not stop to render aid to Li and fled the scene. On Monday, the driver, only identified as a juvenile, was arrested on suspicion of gross vehicular manslaughter, hit-and-run, and driving under the influence.
No other details were immediately released.
An investigation into the crash is ongoing.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.