Pedro Zavala ID’d as Pedestrian Hit and Killed by Vehicle on Taft Highway near Ashe Road in Bakersfield
Bakersfield, California (September 3, 2021) – The Kern County Coroner’s Bureau has identified the pedestrian who died after being struck by a vehicle early Friday morning in Bakersfield as Pedro Arcos Zavala, 32, of Bakersfield.
The deadly pedestrian occurred at around 3:45 a.m. Friday, August 27, on Taft Highway near Ashe Road, the California Highway Patrol reported.
Authorities said Zavala ran into the roadway and was hit by a vehicle.
Pedestrian Killed After Being Struck by Vehicle on Taft Highway Identified
Zavala was killed in the accident.
Caltrans partially closed the eastbound lanes and diverted the westbound lanes to the shoulder following the accident.
No other details were available, but CHP is investigating.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.