Livermore Accident on Interstate 580 Near Las Colinas Road Kills Pedestrian
Livermore, California (September 3, 2021) –A pedestrian accident that occurred on a freeway in Livermore Thursday morning left a 52-year-old woman dead, the California Highway Patrol said.
The fatal pedestrian accident took place on Interstate 580 near Las Colinas Road at about 4 a.m. on September 2.
The accident happened when, for an unknown reason, the female party was walking on the right shoulder of westbound I-580 into the traffic lanes in the morning hours.
The pedestrian was then hit by a 2013 Ford Explorer SUV operated by a 56-year-old Lathrop man.
Fatal Livermore Pedestrian Accident
Sadly, the victim was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The involved SUV driver remained at the scene and cooperated with the law enforcers.
An investigation into the accident is underway. Anyone with additional information about this crash is urged to contact the CHP Dublin office at 925-828-0466.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident , contact Pacific Attorney Group today to talk to an experienced car accident attorney. Click to call : 866-803-6502.