Jose Campuzano ID’d as Pedestrian Struck and Killed by Vehicle on Ramon Road near Landau Boulevard in Cathedral City
Cathedral City, California (September 4, 2021) – The pedestrian who was killed Thursday night in a hit-and-run accident in Cathedral City has been identified by the Riverside County Coroner’s Bureau as Jose Campuzano, 43, of Cathedral City.
The deadly pedestrian crash happened at about 8:07 p.m. Thursday, September 2, on Ramon Road, just east of Landau Boulevard.
Authorities said the vehicle, described as an older model Dodge Ram crew cab truck, struck Campuzano on Ramon Road.
Campuzano was transported to a local hospital, where he later succumbed to his injuries at around 3:00 a.m.
The driver involved fled the scene after the crash. The suspect, only identified as a 57-year-old resident of Cathedral City, later turned himself into police.
The crash remains under investigation. Anyone with information regarding the collision is urged to contact Cathedral City Police Traffic Bureau at 760-770-0300.
Those who wish to report anonymously can call 1-(800)-78-CRIME.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.