Man Killed in Bakersfield Pedestrian Accident on Taft Highway near Ashe Road
Bakersfield, California (September 1, 2021) – A pedestrian died after being struck by a vehicle early Friday morning in Bakersfield, according to a local news source.
The deadly pedestrian occurred at around3:45 a.m. on Taft Highway near Ashe Road by the Kaiser Permanente Sports Complex.
As per the report, the pedestrian, only identified as a 35-year-old man, stepped onto the roadway and was hit by a vehicle.
Deadly Pedestrian Accident in Bakersfield
The man, whose name has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin, was killed in the accident.
Alcohol or drugs was not considered a factor in the accident.
Caltrans partially closed the eastbound lanes and diverted the westbound lanes to the shoulder following the accident.
No other details were available, but CHP is investigating.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.