Bertha Nunez Struck and Killed by Hit-and-Run Driver at Pioneer and Firestone Boulevards in Norwalk
Bertha Nunez Killed in Norwalk Pedestrian Accident at Pioneer and Firestone Boulevards, Rodolfo Diaz Perez Arrested
Norwalk, California (August 14, 2021) – 75-year-old Bertha Nunez, of Norwalk, has been identified as the female victim who died after being struck by an alleged hit-and-run driver, 47-year-old Rodolfo Diaz Perez, Sunday morning in Norwalk, the Los Angeles County coroner’s office said.
The deadly pedestrian accident took place near Pioneer and Firestone boulevards at about 8:15 a.m. on August 8.
As per the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department report, a white GMC Savannah 3500 van operated by Diaz Perez pulled out of a parking lot at the collision time.
Bertha Nunez Fatal Norwalk Pedestrian Crash
Bertha Nunez was pronounced dead at the crash site.
Rodolfo Diaz reportedly did not stop to render aid and fled the scene.
Perez, a Menifee resident, surrendered to authorities on Thursday, August 16, and was booked into the Norwalk Sheriff’s Station jail on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and felony hit-and-run. The amount of his bail was set at $100,000.
An investigation into the accident is underway.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.