Avoiding Truck Accidents
Unless you avoid all roads and city streets entirely, it is virtually impossible to say that you can take certain actions to completely avoid any and all truck accidents for your entire life. However, there are certain steps you can take to decrease the likelihood that you will be involved in an accident.
Following are some safety tips to help you in avoiding truck accidents:
- Try to maintain a safe distance from large trucks and other vehicles at all times. Large trucks do not have the capability of braking and accelerating as fast as other vehicles, so pulling out directly in front of a large truck or following too closely may cause an accident to occur.
- Do not assume that the truck driver can see your vehicle. Trucks have very large “blind spots” – where the driver cannot see vehicles if they are in a certain position in relation to the truck. The rule of thumb is: if you cannot see the truck’s side mirrors, the driver cannot see you.
- Obey traffic laws at all times.
- Be aware of everything the large truck driver may do, such as turning on a turn signal or braking.
- If you notice a large truck that is swerving or driving erratically or aggressively, report this to the proper authority. You may help someone else avoid an accident.
What if you’re involved in a truck accident?
If you are involved in a truck accident in spite of any safety measures you may take, it is important to consider consulting a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. You may have the right to take legal action against the truck driver or trucking company, but you will need legal help in building your case and securing the financial compensation to which you may be entitled.
Do I Have A Case?
the initial consultation is free
Call or email us to schedule a free consultation. You can reach us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our attorneys will travel to wherever is most convenient for you to meet and speak about your case.