Pedestrian Intersection Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian intersection accidents in Los Angeles are a common and concerning issue. With a high volume of pedestrians and traffic, intersections can be dangerous areas where pedestrians are particularly vulnerable to accidents.
It is crucial to understand your rights and seek appropriate legal representation if you or a loved one has been involved in a pedestrian intersection accident in Los Angeles.
Los Angeles Intersection Laws
Los Angeles has specific intersection laws in place to ensure the safety of both pedestrians and drivers. Understanding these laws is important for all road users to prevent accidents and promote responsible behavior. Here are some key intersection laws in Los Angeles:
- Right-of-Way: People walking have the right-of-way when crossing the street within a marked or unmarked crosswalk. Drivers or motorists must yield to pedestrians and allow them to safely cross the road.
- Traffic Signals: Pedestrians must obey traffic signals at intersections. This includes crossing the street only when the pedestrian signal indicates it is safe to do so.
- Left Turns: When making a left turn at an intersection, drivers must yield to pedestrians who are crossing the street in the driver’s path or approaching from the opposite direction.
- Stop Signs: At intersections with stop signs, drivers must come to a complete stop and yield the right-of-way to pedestrians before proceeding.
- Red Lights: Drivers must come to a complete stop at red lights and wait until the light turns green before proceeding. Pedestrians should not cross the street when the traffic signal is displaying a solid red hand or “Don’t Walk” signal.
- Pedestrian Scramble: In certain intersections, there may be a designated pedestrian scramble phase where all traffic is stopped, and pedestrians are allowed to cross in any direction. Pedestrians should use this designated time to cross safely.
Causes of Pedestrian Intersection Accidents in LA
Pedestrian-vehicle accidents in intersections can indeed occur due to various factors. The following are some common reasons behind these accidents:
- Failure to Yield: Drivers may fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians at intersections, especially when making turns or navigating through heavy traffic. This can happen due to inattentiveness, rushing, or simply not recognizing the pedestrian’s presence.
- Unlawful Pedestrian Crossing: Pedestrians crossing the road unlawfully, such as against traffic signals or outside designated crosswalks, can put themselves at a higher risk of accidents. Drivers may not anticipate pedestrians in unexpected locations, leading to collisions.
- Poor Visibility: Factors such as inclement weather, inadequate lighting, or obstructed views (e.g., overgrown vegetation and parked cars) can impair both drivers’ and pedestrians’ visibility at intersections. Limited visibility increases the chances of accidents occurring.
- Distracted Driving: Drivers who engage in distracting activities, like texting, talking on the phone, or using in-car technology, may not pay proper attention to pedestrians in intersections. This distraction can lead to delayed reaction times and an increased risk of accidents.
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a significant hazard on the road. Impaired drivers may have reduced reaction times, impaired judgment, and difficulty perceiving pedestrians, making them more prone to causing accidents.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrian accidents in intersections can result in a range of injuries for pedestrians involved. Some common injuries caused due to these accidents include:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries: Pedestrians may suffer severe head injuries, such as skull fractures or concussions, due to the impact of the vehicle or the pavement. These injuries can have long-term consequences and may require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Internal Injuries: The force of a collision can result in internal injuries, such as internal bleeding, damage to organs, or ruptured blood vessels. These injuries can be dangerous to life and require immediate medical attention.
- Broken Bones: The impact of a vehicle can lead to fractures in various parts of the body, including the arms, legs, ribs, and pelvis. Fractures can cause significant pain, mobility limitations and may require surgical intervention to heal properly.
- Spinal Injuries: Pedestrians may experience spinal injuries, ranging from herniated discs to more severe conditions like spinal cord damage. These injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis and have a significant impact on the individual’s quality of life.
- Lacerations: Pedestrians can suffer deep cuts and lacerations from contact with the vehicle or other objects in the environment. These injuries may require stitches or even plastic surgery to repair and minimize scarring.
The severity of these injuries can vary depending on the speed of the vehicle, the point of impact, and other factors. Seeking immediate medical attention following a pedestrian accident is crucial to assess and treat any injuries, even if they are not immediately apparent. It is also important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to understand your legal rights and options for pursuing compensation for your injuries and related damages.
We Can Help
At the Pacific Attorney Group, we understand the sad effect that pedestrian accidents can have on people and their families. Our dedicated team of attorneys is here to help if you or a person from your family has been involved in a pedestrian accident in an intersection in Los Angeles.
- Extensive experience: Our team of attorneys has extensive experience handling complex personal injury cases, including pedestrian accidents in intersections.
- Fighting for your rights: We are committed to fighting for the rights of our clients and will work tirelessly to build a strong case on your behalf.
- Comprehensive approach: We will gather evidence, interview witnesses, and consult with experts to build a compelling case for your compensation.
- Seeking fair compensation: Our aim is to help you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries, medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages.
- Compassionate support: We understand the physical, emotional, and financial toll that a pedestrian accident can have, and we will provide compassionate support and guidance throughout the legal process.
- Knowledge of intersection laws: We are well-versed in the intersection laws and regulations specific to Los Angeles and will navigate the complexities of your case accordingly.
- Effective communication: Our attorneys will handle all communication with insurance companies on your behalf, ensuring your rights are protected.
- Trial representation: If necessary, we are prepared to take your case to trial to seek the justice you deserve.
- Free consultation: We offer a free consultation to discuss your case and provide personalized legal advice tailored to your specific situation.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you seek the compensation and justice you deserve.