Person Dies in Palo Alto Pedestrian Accident near Palo Alto Avenue and Alma Street
Palo Alto, California (August 3, 2021) –A pedestrian died after being struck by a train in Palo Alto Monday night, according to authorities.
The fatal crash was reported at around 10:22 p.m. Monday, August 2, on the tracks near Palo Alto Avenue and Alma Street.
Authorities said the person was trespassing on the tracks and was hit by a southbound train No. 192.
Pedestrian Killed in Caltrain Crash
The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene. The name of the victim has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin.
The crash prompted the authorities to temporarily close the Palo Alto Avenue grade while the investigation took place.
The San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office is investigating the accident.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.