Los Angeles County Reports First Coronavirus Death, Several Other New Cases
(March 12, 2020) – Health officials in Los Angeles County confirmed the first coronavirus death Wednesday. Several other new cases were also reported, bringing the total number of cases to 27.
The death was a woman in her 60s who was visiting friends in that county.
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said the deceased had extensive travel over the last month, including a “long layover” in South Korea.
The health officials also said that six other new cases of the virus had been confirmed.
Three of the new cases are “household contacts” of a previously confirmed case involving an LA County resident. The other cases include one person who traveled to France and returned home ill and another who traveled to a religious conference out of state and interacted with a person who later tested positive for the virus. The other case involved a resident with no known travel history or close contact exposure. The victim is believed to be the second case of community-acquired infection.
The announcements come as WHO announced COVIC-19 to be a pandemic.