Casey Van Mersbergen ID’d as Pedestrian Hit and Killed by Vehicle Sunday on Interstate 10 Freeway near Neighbours Boulevard Off-Ramp in Blythe
Blythe, California (June 14, 2021) – The Riverside County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office has identified the pedestrian who died after being struck by a vehicle Sunday night in Blythe as Casey Van Mersbergen, 37, of El Mirage, Arizona.
The incident occurred at about 11:50 p.m. Sunday, June 13, on the eastbound side of Interstate 10 Freeway, about 1.5 miles east of Neighbours Boulevard exit.
Authorities said a blue Ford SUV hit Van Mersbergen under unclear circumstances.
Pedestrian Killed in Blythe Crash Identified as Arizona Man
Van Mersbergen was pronounced dead at the scene at around 12:11 a.m.
No further details about the crash were immediately given.
The California Highway Patrol is investigating the accident.
Pedestrian Accidents in California
The number of pedestrians being seriously injured or killed in California is increasing every year due to the growing numbers of people walking in the streets and the ever-increasing number of motor vehicles on the roads.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.