Long Beach Truck Accident Attorneys
Understanding Accidents Involving Semi-Trucks & Big Rigs
The injuries resulting from a truck accident are often catastrophic, and the occupants of a smaller vehicle are far more likely to be injured than the driver of the truck. In these cases, the accident can often be traced back to negligence, some act or inaction on the part of an individual or company that has resulted in a failure to act with reasonable care for the safety of others. A tired truck driver forced to forgo rest breaks to make a delivery deadline, a careless loading company that overloads a truck, a truck driver who is texting while driving – in any of these scenarios a serious collision may result.
A Long Beach truck accident attorney at Pacific Attorney Group may be able to help if you were injured or lost a loved one in an accident with a commercial truck. Representing clients throughout Southern California, we strive to provide only the highest quality legal counsel as we seek justice and maximum compensation. Negligent truck drivers, trucking companies and shipping companies can be held legally responsible if they cause traffic accidents. Our goal is to hold them accountable so our clients can get the financial support they need to rebuild their lives.
Truck Accident Information and Guidance
If you are interested in learning more about truck accidents and your rights as a victim of such a collision, you will find helpful information on this website. Truck accidents have an extremely high risk of causing catastrophic injury due to the extreme size and weight of tractor-trailers, tanker trucks, big rigs and 18-wheelers. Understanding why these accidents occur and what you can do if injured can better prepare you to seek justice in the event of a collision. The following are key topics related to truck accidents:
Causes of Truck Collisions
Truck accidents have various causes, or factors that contribute to their occurrence. A single accident may even have numerous causes. Examples include drunk driving, speeding, truck driver fatigue, overloaded trucks, unsecured truck loads, truck malfunction and traffic violations.
Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
Do you need an attorney if injured in a truck accident? This is an important question, and the answer will vary depending on the severity of your accident and any issues you are currently dealing with, such as a delayed or denied insurance claim. Calling our offices for a free consultation is a good place to start – we can answer your questions and help you make an informed choice.
Injuries in Commercial Vehicle Accidents
The injuries in commercial vehicle accidents are often severe due to the size and weight of the large truck, bus or other vehicle. In multi-vehicle truck accidents, occupants of other vehicles are far more likely to be injured than truck occupants. Injuries can result in lasting disabilities, loss of enjoyment of life and even death.
Loading Issues & Large Trucks
If a large truck is improperly loaded, it is like a ticking time bomb. An unsecured load could result in an object flying off the truck and into the road or onto another vehicle. An overloaded or unbalanced truck may be difficult to maneuver, putting undue stress on brakes and tires and increasing the chances of an accident.
Truck Accident Statistics
Truck accident statistics can provide another level of insight when it comes to the causes of these collisions and the impact they have on Americans’ lives. We have compiled accident and injury statistics for large trucks, weighing more than 10,000 pounds.
Legal Counsel for Truck Accident Victims in Long Beach, CA
Large trucks are an essential part of goods transportation in California and across the U.S. Drivers and trucking companies, however, have an obligation to comply with strict federal and state trucking regulations in order to keep our roads safe. If they are careless or intentionally violate regulations, they may be held liable for the injuries they cause.
It can be difficult to face off against a large trucking company or insurance provider in the wake of a truck accident, not only due to the complexity of these cases but because they may involve severe injuries and exorbitant medical bills. Fortunately, our attorneys have the resources and experience to take on the biggest opponents in insurance claims and personal injury litigation stemming from these collisions. Contact a Long Beach truck accident lawyer today to see how Pacific Attorney Group can help you.
Hiring a Truck Accident Attorney
If you were involved in an accident with a semi-truck, big rig or tractor-trailer, you may wonder whether you should hire an attorney. This is an important question, and your decision in this matter could very well influence the amount of your insurance settlement, if any, and whether you recover sufficient monetary damages for injuries and property damage the accident caused.
At Pacific Attorney Group, we represent clients throughout the Long Beach area who have been injured in accidents with commercial vehicles, including all types of large trucks. We have seen just how much damage these collisions can cause, most frequently to the occupants of smaller vehicles, pedestrians, motorcyclists or bicyclists. If you were injured in a truck accident and want to know whether you should consider hiring an attorney, we strongly recommend calling our offices or filling out an online case evaluation form. Your initial consultation is free and confidential, and this is your opportunity to talk to a legal professional about your concerns.
When you talk to a Long Beach truck accident attorney at our firm about your case, you can get the answers you need to make informed decisions. You can ask any questions you have and can find out what options are available to you based on the circumstances surrounding your accident. Using this information, you can decide whether you believe it will be worthwhile to involve a legal professional. You can also use this consultation to learn more about Pacific Attorney Group, our attorneys, our qualifications, our past case results and how we may be able to help you. There are many personal injury firms in Southern California that claim to be the best, most caring and most professional. Learn more about our firm to decide whether we are the right fit.
How can a lawyer help with my truck accident claim or lawsuit?
Truck accident cases are notoriously complex. They often cause catastrophic injuries, may involve complicated liability issues and may require going up against a large corporation to seek financial compensation. A truck accident lawyer who is experienced in handling these matters can provide help in a number of ways:
- Your lawyer can handle all communication with the insurance company, truck driver, trucking company, law enforcement and witnesses.
- Your lawyer can get to work immediately gathering evidence, documentation and statements to conduct an investigation into the cause of the accident. This may include accident reconstruction to determine the sequence of events that occurred prior to the collision.
- Your lawyer can review any settlement offers made by the insurance company to see if they are fair and cover all of your losses or injuries.
- Your lawyer can negotiate for a fair settlement or can take your case to court if the insurance company simply will not treat your claim in a just and reasonable manner.
- Your lawyer can look to any other parties that may be held legally responsible for your injuries, such as the manufacturer of a defective truck or auto part, or a city or county for a hazardous roadway.
- Your lawyer can pursue a personal injury or wrongful death action against at-fault parties to seek compensation for economic and non-economic losses you have experienced.
- While you focus on healing, your lawyer can handle every aspect of your claim to seek the best outcome, all while keeping you involved and informed of its progress.
Take the first step in seeking justice after a serious accident – contact a Long Beach truck accident lawyer at Pacific Attorney Group today.
Injuries in Commercial Vehicle Accidents Lawyer
Considering their immense size, it is no wonder that commercial vehicles can cause catastrophic injuries when involved in traffic accidents. A fully-loaded big rig may weigh 80,000 pounds or even more. Add to the fact that large trucks may be carrying hazardous or extremely heavy cargo, and the chances of injury are great. The people most frequently injured in truck accidents are not the truck drivers themselves but rather occupants of other, smaller vehicles. They may be at risk of suffering internal organ damage, head trauma, lacerations, broken bones, spinal cord injuries and other trauma.
Were you injured in a collision with a commercial truck? In addition to the physical pain and emotional trauma you have experienced, you may now be left facing financial difficulties due to mounting medical bills and lost wages from missed work. A Long Beach truck accident attorney may be just the person to help you seek justice. You may be entitled to a significant amount of financial compensation for your medical care, lost earnings, future medical expenses and even psychological trauma. With an attorney to represent your interests and guide you through the process of filing a claim, you have the opportunity to seek the best possible outcome to your case.
From our Long Beach law offices, we at Pacific Attorney Group represent truck accident victims and their families throughout this area of Southern California. We offer representation in insurance claims, personal injury cases and wrongful death lawsuits pertaining to these serious collisions, using more than 40 years of combined experience to seek maximum compensation for every client we help. Now is your chance to learn more about the injuries truck accidents cause and what steps a victim can take to begin rebuilding.
About Truck Accident Injuries
According to nationwide truck accident statistics as presented by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), which operates under the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT), occupants of other vehicles are most likely to be injured or to lose their lives in multi-vehicle truck accidents. In 2012, for example, truck occupants comprised a mere 7.8% of multi-vehicle truck accident fatalities. Occupants of other vehicles accounted for 81.2% of fatalities and non-occupants (including pedestrians and bicyclists) accounted for 11% of fatalities.
Of all injuries in multi-vehicle truck accidents, occupants of large trucks accounted for 17.7%. Occupants of other vehicles accounted for 79.2% and non-occupants accounted for 3.1%. These statistics show that truck occupants are far less likely to suffer fatal injuries in multi-vehicle truck accidents, whereas non-occupants are at a greatly increased chance of suffering fatal injuries. The percentage of fatalities and injuries for occupants of other vehicles is similar, indicating a similar risk of fatality.
Occupants of other vehicles most likely account for the majority of injuries and fatalities in truck accidents because of the size and weight disparity between a large truck and smaller vehicle. The NHTSA defines a large truck as a truck with a gross vehicle weight of 10,000 pounds or more. Depending on the size of the tractor and trailer, a semi-truck or big rig may weigh 80,000 pounds or more. In a collision with a passenger vehicle that may weigh around 3,000 to 5,000 pounds, the large truck has the potential to cause extensive damage while suffering minor damage itself.
Injury Lawyers for Long Beach Truck Accidents
After suffering serious truck accident injuries, you may find it difficult to move on with your life. Your ability to work may have been impacted, and you may have experienced an overall loss of enjoyment of life and the activities that you once enjoyed. Take action with a Long Beach truck accident lawyer at Pacific Attorney Group and you can achieve peace of mind in knowing that justice has been served. You can also seek the monetary damages to help you regain financial stability. Contact our firm today to get started.
Loading Issues and Large Trucks Accident Lawyer
Truck Accident Lawyer Serving Long Beach
Commercial trucks carry all types of cargo in Long Beach, across California and throughout the United States. This may include lumber, heavy equipment, motor vehicles, produce and other food, gasoline, hazardous waste, livestock, office supplies, furniture, retail goods and more. This cargo must be properly loaded, balanced and secured for maximum safety. If it is not, the consequences may be disastrous:
- An overloaded truck will be more difficult to maneuver and will place more stress on brakes, steering systems, suspension and other parts of the vehicle. This can result in blowouts or malfunctions in other truck parts. There is also a greater chance that a driver will lose control when turning or traveling downhill.
- An unbalanced truck load creates an increased risk of maneuverability issues, particularly in adverse weather or when a driver must turn or stop suddenly to avoid a hazard. In extreme cases, the trailer may sway wildly or may even tip over. Top-heavy loads could cause a truck to roll over.
- Unsecured truck cargo poses a grave hazard to all other motorists on the road. Even a small object can create a lot of damage and cause an accident if it falls from a truck into the road or onto another vehicle. The consequences are far more serious if the falling cargo is a large and heavy object, which could stop another vehicle dead in its tracks or even puncture skewer a vehicle.
Have you been injured in a truck accident involving an unbalanced or unsecured load, or perhaps an overloaded vehicle? You have rights, and the team at Pacific Attorney Group stands ready to protect these in the pursuit of justice for your injuries. With a Long Beach truck accident lawyer from our firm by your side, you have the invaluable opportunity to hold a negligent driver, trucking company or other party accountable for improperly loading a truck. Now is the time to call for a free, confidential review of your case.
Improper Cargo Loading in Long Beach Truck Accidents
It can be a difficult undertaking to determine the primary cause of a truck accident. There may be a number of factors at play, which must be analyzed and sorted through to ascertain what actually contributed to the crash. Witness accounts may vary, police reports may conflict with a driver’s version of events and the physical evidence may not paint a clear picture – at first. Fortunately, our professionals can fully investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident to determine whether the load was a problem, or if another factor may have caused the accident.
We may involve professionals in accident reconstruction, investigators and other analysts to help us reconstruct the exact sequence of events that led up to a collision. We can look at driver logs, loading reports and other documents that may reveal how the truck was loaded and whether this was done in compliance with trucking regulations. We can look at the scene itself to see if tire marks and other evidence can reveal the truck’s motion in comparison with the motion of the other vehicle or vehicles. A complete analysis of all available evidence, witness reports and information can help us build a compelling case against a truck driver or trucking company.
If you are ready to find out what can be done to rebuild your life in the aftermath of a truck collision, arrange a consultation with a truck accident attorney at our firm. We serve all of Long Beach and the surrounding areas in Southern California and are prepared to see how we can help you.
Truck Accident Statistics Attorney
A Long Beach Truck Accident Attorney Can Offer Helpful Insight
If you want to find out more about truck accidents, statistics are a good source of information. Statistics can provide insight about trends in these collisions, common causes and the impact truck accidents have on individuals and society as a whole. We welcome you to review the following truck accident statistics, which we have compiled from the California Highway Patrol (CHP) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). If you would like to discuss an individual accident, insurance claim or lawsuit, please feel free to call our offices at any time for a confidential consultation with a Long Beach truck accident lawyer. Your initial case review is free, and if we work together on your case, you pay nothing unless we win.
The following are California truck accident statistics, from the CHP:
- There were 245 fatal truck accidents and 5,155 injury truck accidents in California in 2011. These collisions caused 278 fatalities and left 7,249 people injured.
- LA County led the state with the highest number of large truck collisions in 2011, with 47 fatal accidents and 1,607 injury accidents, resulting in 53 fatalities and 2,212 injuries.
- In fatal truck accidents where the truck driver was determined to be at fault, there were two leading primary collision factors: unsafe speed and improper turning. Together, these two primary collision factors accounted for about 75% of these accidents.
- In injury truck accidents where the truck driver was at fault, unsafe speed was the leading primary collision factor, accounting for more than 40% of these accidents. Other leading primary collision factors were: improper turning, unsafe lane change and failure to yield the right of way to an automobile or pedestrian.
- Truck accidents accounted for 9.3% of all fatal traffic accidents and 3.2% of all injury traffic accidents in California in 2011.
The following are nationwide truck accident statistics, from the NHTSA:
- 3,921 people were killed and 104,000 people were injured in traffic accidents involving large trucks (weighing more than 10,000 pounds) in the U.S. in 2012.
- Of all truck accidents, including single-vehicle and multi-vehicle collisions, 73% were occupants of other vehicles, 10% were non-occupants (bicyclists and pedestrians) and 18% were large truck occupants.
- When you exclude truck occupant injuries and fatalities caused by single-vehicle truck accidents, these statistics paint a slightly different picture. Of multi-vehicle truck accidents in 2012, truck occupants accounted for only 7.8% of fatalities.
- Large trucks are more likely to be involved in fatal multi-vehicle accidents than passenger vehicles. In 2012, 81% of fatal collisions involving large trucks were multi-vehicle accidents, whereas 58% of fatal passenger car collisions were multi-vehicle accidents.
- In nearly half (46%) of fatal two-vehicle truck accidents, both vehicles were traveling straight at the time of the collision. In 31% of fatal two-vehicle truck accidents, both vehicles were struck in the front.
- 78% of fatal truck accidents occurred on weekdays, and of these collisions 72% occurred during the day (between 6am and 5:59pm).
- California had the second-highest number of large trucks involved in fatal traffic accidents in 2012, at 244. Texas had the highest number of large trucks involved in fatal accidents, at 543.
Causes of Large Truck Collisions
Answers from a Long Beach Truck Accident Lawyer
What factors frequently contribute to collisions involving commercial vehicles? The answer to this question that can shed light on the important subject of truck accidents, helping us understand what commonly causes these collisions and therefore what we can do to decrease our chances of being involved. There are many different potential causes of large truck crashes; we have compiled basic information regarding some of the leading contributing factors to offer insight on this matter. Feel free to review these at your convenience, or if you have been injured in a collision and are looking for legal guidance, call a Long Beach truck accident lawyer at our firm for a free consultation.
Truck Driver Negligence or Wrongdoing
Truck drivers are responsible for maneuvering extremely large and heavy vehicles. They have an obligation to obey traffic laws and to comply with state and federal trucking regulations. This may include taking sufficient rest breaks, inspecting their vehicles, submitting to drug testing and more. If truck drivers drive in a careless or aggressive manner or violate traffic laws, they can cause serious accidents. Speeding, driving while tired, drunk driving, negligent truck maintenance and driving without breaks are examples of truck driver wrongdoing. In these cases, the driver or employer may be liable.
Trucking Company Liability
Trucking, shipping and loading companies may be responsible for truck collisions if they are negligent in their maintenance, loading or inspections of trucks or improperly load their vehicles. They can also be held accountable for negligent hiring practices. Trucks must be properly loaded, truck drivers hired, vehicles maintained and driver hours enforced in accordance with all applicable state and federal trucking regulations. When trucking companies willfully or negligently violate regulations, victims of resulting collisions may be able to seek justice and financial compensation.
Other Contributing Factors
Truck accidents may also have other causes, which may be attributed to the negligence of other drivers, defective auto or truck parts or hazardous roads. Heavy weather is another potential cause of truck accidents, particularly because it can have more of an effect on these difficult to maneuver vehicles.
Motorists who share the road with large trucks should take care to avoid these vehicles’ blind spots, which are far larger than blind spots on typical passenger cars and light trucks. They should also be aware of large trucks’ limited maneuverability and should avoid following too closely or pulling directly in front of tractor-trailers, semi-trucks and big rigs.
Defective Vehicle Parts
All parts of a truck, car, SUV or other vehicle must be in working order if it is to operate safely. Manufacturing defects, poor designs and negligently maintained vehicle parts may cause truck accidents as a result of such issues as tire blowouts, brake failure, steering system malfunction, etc.
Long Beach streets and other roadways should be properly designed and maintained for the safety of all drivers. When large potholes, missing guardrails, defective traffic lights or other factors contribute to truck collisions, the city or county government responsible for maintaining that road may be held accountable.
If you would like to discuss what may have caused your truck accident and your right to compensation, call our offices for a complimentary case review. At Pacific Attorney Group, we have more than 35 years of combined experience to offer and are comfortable negotiating and litigating commercial vehicle accident cases against the largest corporations. Contact a Long Beach truck accident attorney today!
Help for Truck Accident Victims in Long Beach, CA
If you are ready to talk about your options and rights, call a Long Beach truck accident attorney at our firm. At Pacific Attorney Group, we believe negligent truck drivers and trucking companies should be held accountable when they cause serious injuries on our roadways. We fight for maximum compensation in every case we handle to help our clients get the support they need.