William Pattenaude ID’d as Pedestrian Hit and Killed by Train near Mariposa Reina in Gaviota
Gaviota, California (September 8, 2021) – The pedestrian who died after being struck by a train Sunday afternoon near Gaviota has been identified as William Pattenaude, 67, of Goleta.
The deadly accident occurred at around 1:15 p.m. Sunday, September 5 nearly one mile south of Mariposa Reina.
Pattenaude was hit by a train under unclear circumstances.
1 Killed in Gaviota Train-Pedestrian Accident near Mariposa Reina
Authorities said Pattenaude died at the scene following the incident.
Train traffic was halted for several hours following the crash.
No further details were released.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.