Horse Dies, Teenage Rider Seriously Injured in Turlock Crash on Harding Road near Youngstown Road
Turlock, California (August 11, 2021) – A 19-year-old Turlock woman was seriously injured in a collision that also left a horse she was riding dead Wednesday morning near Turlock, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The crash occurred shortly after 9:00 a.m. in the 2300 block of Harding Road near Youngstown Road.
CHP said Isaac Leal, 27, of Delhi, was driving a Chevrolet Silverado northbound on Youngstown Road, rounding a bend which it turns onto eastbound Harding Road, while the 19-year-old Turlock woman was riding the horse eastbound on Harding Road along the right edge of the road.
Leal told the authorities that he reached down to get a bottle of water. When he looked back up, he saw the horse and its rider and swerved to the left.
The Chevrolet rotated counter-clockwise and hit the horse. The impact caused the rider to be thrown off the horse and land onto the roadway.
Rider Hospitalized, Horse Dead in Traffic Crash near Turlock
The rider sustained major injuries and was transported to the Doctors Medical Center. The horse died at the scene and was transported from the scene by Stanislaus County Animal Services.
The driver of the Chevrolet was uninjured. Investigators believed distractive driving played a role in the collision.
The crash remains under investigation.
Tips on What to do after a Car Accident in California
- Always stop and remain at the scene.
- Check if you or your passengers have been injured. In case someone is hurt, call emergency services or ask someone else to help.
- Get to safety – If your car is drivable, move it to a safe area. If it’s not, turn your hazard lights on and set up flares.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Never discuss or admit fault. Instead, wait for a police officer and insurance companies representatives to figure out the fault.
- Document the accident and exchange information with other drivers.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a car accident and need legal help, call our law firm at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.