Woman Killed in Sun Valley Pedestrian Accident on Golden State (5) Freeway Connector Ramp to Hollywood (170) Freeway
Sun Valley, California (August 20, 2021) – A pedestrian died after being struck by a vehicle Friday evening in Sun Valley, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The deadly accident was reported at around 7:13 p.m. on the southbound Golden State Freeway connector to the southbound Hollywood (170) Freeway.
The pedestrian, only identified as a woman, was standing on the freeway when, for unknown reasons, she was hit by a vehicle, CHP said.
Pedestrian Killed in Sun Valley Collision
The woman, whose name has not been disclosed pending notification of family, was declared dead at the scene.
It was not immediately clear why the woman was standing on the freeway.
The driver involved stopped at the scene and cooperated with the police.
The crash prompted the authorities to close the two right lanes of the southbound Golden State Freeway connector to the southbound Hollywood Freeway for an unknown time.
Further details about the crash were not immediately provided, and the accident remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.