Person Killed in San Jose Hit-and-Run Accident at Almaden Avenue and Willow Street
San Jose, California (August 15, 2021) – A pedestrian died after being struck by a vehicle Saturday night near downtown San Jose, according to San Jose police.
The deadly pedestrian accident took place at the intersection of Almaden Avenue and Willow Street on August 14.
Police said a vehicle hit the pedestrian for unknown reasons at the San Jose intersection.
Pedestrian Killed in Crash in San Jose
The pedestrian died at the scene. The name of the victim has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin.
The man driving the vehicle fled the scene but was later arrested. He faces charges of DUI, hit-and-run and vehicular manslaughter.
The crash remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.