1 Killed in San Jose Pedestrian Crash on Highway 101 near Story Road
San Jose, California (August 7, 2021) – Authorities are investigating a fatal San Jose pedestrian crash involving a county vehicle that happened Friday night on Highway 101.
The California Highway Patrol said the accident was reported at around 11:41 p.m. on the southbound lanes of the highway near Story Road.
The driver of the vehicle called authorities reporting that they hit a pedestrian at 65 mph.
San Jose firefighters responded to the scene to find the car with a smashed windshield.
The report said the victim suffered significant injuries and died in the crash. The identity of the pedestrian was not mentioned.
The vehicle was towed away for evidence.
No other information was available, but CHP is investigating.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Were you or your loved one involved in a pedestrian accident? Contact Pacific Attorney Group for legal advice. Click to call : 866-803-6502.