39-Year-Old San Francisco Man Killed in Wheatland Pedestrian Accident on Highway 65 near Dry Creek Levee Road
Wheatland, California (September 11, 2021) – A pedestrian died after being struck by a vehicle Friday night north of Wheatland, according to the California Highway Patrol.
The deadly accident happened at about 11:35 p.m. Friday, September 10, on Highway 65, just north of Dry Creek Levee Road.
CHP said the pedestrian, only identified as a 39-year-old San Francisco, was walking on the southbound side of Highway 65 when a 2016 Ford Fusion hit him.
Pedestrian Dies in Wheatland Crash on Highway 65
The pedestrian was pronounced deceased at the scene, despite life-saving measures performed by the medical personnel. His name has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin.
The involved motorists stayed at the scene after the accident and cooperated with the investigators. Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the crash.
The CHP is investigating the crash.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.