60-Year-Old San Diego Man Killed in La Presa Pedestrian Accident at Jamacha Boulevard and Gillespie Drive
La Presa, California (September 14, 2021) – An elderly pedestrian died after being hit by a vehicle Monday night near a grocery store in the La Pressa area of Spring Valley, the California Highway Patrol reported.
The fatal crash was reported at around 9:45 p.m. Monday, September 13, in the area of Jamacha Boulevard and Gillespie Drive, just east of Route 125 and north of the Spring Valley Swap Meet Site.
According to Witnesses, the pedestrian, a 60-year-old San Diego man, was running or walking on the north sidewalk of Jamacha Boulevard when he stepped off the sidewalk and ran directly in front of the 2013 Mercedes-Benz sedan that was traveling westbound on Jamacha Boulevard.
The Mercedes ultimately struck the pedestrian.
Fatal La Presa Pedestrian Accident at Jamacha Boulevard and Gillespie Drive
Sadly, the pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been disclosed pending notification of family.
The driver of the Mercedes, a 77-year-old man, stopped at the scene after hitting the pedestrian. He was not injured.
Alcohol or drugs were not considered a factor in the crash. Authorities blocked Jamacha Boulevard from Gillespie Drive to Sweetwater Road for nearly two-and-a-half hours during the investigation.
No further details regarding the crash were immediately given.
The collision remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.