Man Killed in Scripps Ranch Pedestrian Accident on State Route 163 near Interstate 15
San Diego, California (August 8, 2021) – A pedestrian died after being struck by a vehicle Sunday evening in Scripps Ranch, San Diego.
According to the California Highway Patrol, the deadly crash was reported at around 8:32 p.m. on the southbound side of State Route 163 near the transition road to Interstate 15.
The CHP said the pedestrian, only identified as a man, was walking next to traffic on State Route 163 when, for unknown reasons, he was hit by a vehicle.
Pedestrian Killed in Crash in San Diego
The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name has not been disclosed pending notification of family.
A SigAlert was issued at around 9:05 p.m. for the closure of some lanes on State Route 163.
No further details about the crash were immediately provided.
The accident remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.