Ivonne Vivas ID’d as Woman Struck and Killed by Vehicle on Reina Road in Bakersfield
Bakersfield, California (September 8, 2021) – The woman who died Wednesday morning after being struck by a vehicle in northwest Bakersfield has been identified as Ivonne Lizbeth Vivas, 48, of Bakersfield.
The deadly pedestrian accident happened shortly after 7:00 a.m. on Reina Road.
Authorities said a 17-year-old driver was likely distracted when she struck Vivas. The vehicle also hit two other pedestrians.
Deadly Pedestrian Crash on Reina Road in Bakersfield
Vivas died upon the impact. The other two pedestrians were not injured.
The juvenile driver initially fled the scene, but she later returned to the scene. Drugs or alcohol were not considered a factor in the collision.
The crash remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.