Christopher Cortes Duarte ID’d as Skateboarder Struck and Killed by Vehicle Saturday Night on Old Elsinore Road near Cedar Street in Perris
Perris, California (August 16, 2021) – The Riverside County Sheriff-Coroner’s Office has identified the man who died after being struck by a vehicle while riding a skateboard Saturday night in Perris as Christopher Cortes Duarte, 34, of Perris.
The deadly accident occurred at around 8:37 p.m. Saturday, August 14, in the 20221 block of Old Elsinore Road, just south of Cedar Street.
A witness told the authorities that Duarte was riding his skateboard on a darkened road and attempted to cross the street when a vehicle hit him.
Skateboarder Killed in Perris Collision Identified
Duarte was pronounced dead at the scene.
No further details about the crash were immediately provided.
The accident remains under investigation by the California Highway Patrol.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.