Pedestrian Hospitalized after Bakersfield Accident on South Union Avenue
Bakersfield, California (September 13, 2021) – One person was hospitalized with serious injuries after being struck by a vehicle on a highway in Bakersfield Monday night, the California Highway Patrol said.
The major injury pedestrian crash took place on South Union Avenue near Amador Avenue at approximately 8:22 p.m.
An individual was reportedly hit by a vehicle on the highway under unclear circumstances.
Major Injury Bakersfield Pedestrian Accident
The pedestrian, whose name was not revealed, sustained major injuries following the accident. The unidentified victim was attended to by medical personnel before being taken to an area hospital for further medical aid.
Details regarding the involved motorist were not immediately available at the report time.
The accident remains under active investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you or your loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law firm at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.