Person Killed in Atwater Village Pedestrian Accident on 5 Freeway near Hyperion Avenue
Atwater Village, California (August 18, 2021) – A pedestrian died early Wednesday morning following a traffic crash involving a civilian vehicle and a police car in Atwater Village, according to authorities.
The deadly accident happened just before 3:00 a.m. on the southbound side of the 5 Freeway near Hyperion Avenue, the California Highway Patrol reported.
Details on what led up to the crash at this time are unknown.
The pedestrian, whose name was being withheld pending family notification, was killed in the accident.
Authorities shut down three southbound lanes of the freeway while they conduct an investigation.
Further details regarding the accident were not immediately provided.
The crash remains under investigation.
Notable Pedestrian Accident Statistics According to the California Office of Traffic Safety:
- 893 pedestrians were killed, and more than 14,000 were injured on California roadways in 2018.
- California’s pedestrian fatality is almost 25% higher than the national average.
- California is among the leading states in pedestrian deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians
- Make yourself visible to other road users by wearing bright colored clothes, reflector jackets, or using a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid distractions such as using your phone while on the streets.
- Cross streets on marked crosswalks and obey traffic lights.
- Always pay attention to your surroundings.
- Be predictable by observing all traffic rules and obeying signs and signals.
Safety Tips for Drivers
- Look out for pedestrians, particularly in hard-to-see conditions, for example, at night and in bad weather.
- Yield and be ready to stop whenever a pedestrian has the right-of-way.
- Be cautious when parking or backing up – pedestrians can move across your path.
- Observe all traffic rules.
If you have lost someone you love in a pedestrian accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.