One Killed, Five Injured in 101 Freeway Accident near 405 Freeway in Encino
Encino, California (August 12, 2021) – One person was killed and five others were injured Thursday evening when a suspected wrong-way driver caused a multi-vehicle crash on a freeway in Encino, the California Highway Patrol said.
The tragic accident was reported at around 7:10 p.m. on the southbound 101 Freeway near the 405 Freeway.
According to the CHP, a white SUV may have been going in the wrong direction on the 101 Freeway when it collided head-on with a big rig. Other vehicles were possibly involved in the crash.
Deadly Wrong-Way, Head-On Crash in Encino
A passenger in the SUV was declared dead at the scene. The name of the victim has not been disclosed pending notification of next of kin.
Five other people, including four children, were transported to area hospitals with unspecified injuries. Their identities and conditions at this time were not available.
The driver of the SUV fled the scene on foot but was arrested by police. The driver was ultimately booked into jail.
No further details about the crash were immediately provided.
The accident remains under investigation.
Tips on What to do after a Car Accident in California
- Always stop and remain at the scene.
- Check if you or your passengers have been injured. In case someone is hurt, call emergency services or ask someone else to help.
- Get to safety – If your car is drivable, move it to a safe area. If it’s not, turn your hazard lights on and set up flares.
- Call 911 to report the accident.
- Never discuss or admit fault. Instead, wait for a police officer and insurance companies representatives to figure out the fault.
- Document the accident and exchange information with other drivers.
If you have lost someone you love in a car accident and need legal help, call our law office at Click to call : 866-803-6502 and talk to an accident attorney.